Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yoghurt making etc  (Read 4546 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Yoghurt making etc
« on: November 02, 2015, 03:31:12 pm »
I have my own Jersey housecow which gives me 3 litre per day.  We eat a lot of yoghurt here and want to do more processing.

I made some yoghurt last week which was very nice however after I made it with Bulgarian cultures went lumpy after being in the fridge.  What went wrong?

Also anyone else process milk into cream cheese as everything I read uses gallons on milk over small qualities where its not going to last.

Any tips from experienced milk processors much appreciated. 

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Yoghurt making etc
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 07:19:13 pm »
was it big lumps or small ones?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 10:57:48 pm »
I always use woodlands dairy sheeps yoghurt as a starter base for my homemade yoghurt, but I think my parents used a yoghurt starter from English suppliers, I will ask them and get back to you, but the yoghurt has always been very smooth. Another thing which is quite good is instead of cooling the milk in cold water, I sometimes leave it to cool for 10 mins in the pan on a wooden board and that has worked in the past, but the texture with doing that can fluctuate. What temp do you add the yoghurt and how long do you keep it on for?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 09:27:14 am »

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 09:29:05 am »
I always use woodlands dairy sheeps yoghurt as a starter base for my homemade yoghurt, but I think my parents used a yoghurt starter from English suppliers, I will ask them and get back to you, but the yoghurt has always been very smooth. Another thing which is quite good is instead of cooling the milk in cold water, I sometimes leave it to cool for 10 mins in the pan on a wooden board and that has worked in the past, but the texture with doing that can fluctuate. What temp do you add the yoghurt and how long do you keep it on for?

I started with 180 to 110 add cultures, left in warm place.  Fridge in morning.  This time I used the heirloom yogurt added just at 110 (didnt boil it) pot in over overnight just popped in fridge now. Will see later

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 10:09:55 am »
If it is small lumps you may have gone over 180. If it boils at a ll you will get little lumps
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 02:25:49 pm »
thank you!  Having control of the temp needs a bit more concentration.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 04:40:17 pm »
Still getting lumps - like cheesy lumps not pleasant but I put it through the sieve.  Still grainy bits too.  Used the slow cooker method so slow and controlled.  Put the cultures in at 100F.  Left overnight. Its not as thick as we'd hoped we like the Yeo Valley set yogurt - that's very creamy.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 08:12:02 am »
Haven't you got a yoghurt maker? Would be worthwhile getting one. I find that the yoghurt makers are indeed the best. The best part about them is that you pour the mix in them, turn on the yoghurt maker, pop the lid over and its done in about 4  hrs, depending on what setting its on, then refrigerate the yoghurt, once its done. Delicious :yum:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 05:26:52 pm »
I always use Yeo Valley natural live yogurt as a starter and then keep my own. Doing it this way keeps the cost down and means you can use a new starter fairly regularly to keep the yogurt fresh.

As far as cheese goes, I use a 2 litre jug of milk to make soft/cream time cheese. This makes a quantity of cheese that you can comfortably eat before it starts to go stale. Also very versatile as you can flavour it however you like, with salt, pepper, herbs etc or not at all if you want to use it to go in cheesecakes etc.

Just warm the milk to blood heat and add rennet. Leave to stand in a warm place until set firm. Cut the curd into chunks and leave to stand to allow the acidity to rise a bit. I usually leave it until the curd has all sunk to the bottom of the jug. Drain and leave in a sieve lined with a cheesecloth / muslin for at least 24 hours. Then you can do what ever you like with it - flavour or cook with.  Very simple.

The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS