Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: storing milk in fridge - what do you do?  (Read 6771 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: storing milk in fridge - what do you do?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 12:32:13 am »
wow is that like proper cream cheese or want is this similar too?   I see cream cheese as made with cultures and rennet.

Cream cheese is made from cream.

This is curd cheese, also called acid cheese. 

You can use cultures if you want, in which case you'd pasteurise (80C for 30 seconds or 68C for 30 minutes), cool to the appropriate temperature (usually 21C to 26C for different cheeses) then add the culture, stir and add the rennet as and when the particular cheese recipe calls for it.  Cut or strain, cheddar or not, according to recipe and so on.

You were wanting something quick and easy, and said you don't have much cream, so curd cheese using the ambient bugs seemed more suitable.

A traditional recipe was to put milk in a bag and place the bag under the saddle cloth before going out to ride the range.  By evening, the milk was cheese :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 11:45:17 am »
Just one other thought re the storing quality of your milk... is it possible that your girl has sub-clinical mastitis, (just a high somatic cell count)? That would also lead to milk going off quickly. Could be in just one quarter for example, and not really that noticeable.

A high bacterial count would be the result of dirt/bugs getting into the milk either during or straight after milking. Do you use udder wipes before milking on each quarter?

I personally don't pasteurise my (goats)milk for any of the cheeses I make, except when I make a fresh batch of starter culture (then frozen in ice cube trays and used three at a time per gallon of milk).

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 11:45:59 am »
This looks like Ricotta cheese.  I'm going to have a go at mozzarella.  Just ordered vege rennet.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 11:49:35 am »
This looks like Ricotta cheese.  I'm going to have a go at mozzarella.  Just ordered vege rennet.

Mozzarella is not the easiest cheese to make.... something like Gouda is much easier. Have you got the Katie Tear book on "cheesemaking and dairying" ? Brilliant recipes and they do work.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 03:02:53 pm »
We use seven 4-pint plastic milk cartons with the labels removed and the day of the week written on each one in black marker.

Makes it very easy to know what's what, and how old the milk is. When one is emptied it's sterilised with a little Milton fluid.

I make yoghurt about every other day, and Paneer cheese which doesn't need any culture, just lemon juice or citric acid - makes a nice veggie curry - and have made soft cheese with a culture. Use any whey in bread-making.

For next spring we've got a cheese press. :-)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 08:40:51 pm »

Mozzarella is not the easiest cheese to make.... something like Gouda is much easier. Have you got the Katie Tear book on "cheesemaking and dairying" ? Brilliant recipes and they do work.
And don't I know it  ::)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS