Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long does bloat take to happen?  (Read 2789 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
How long does bloat take to happen?
« on: October 23, 2015, 03:52:21 pm »
Hi,

One of our pygmies managed to squeeze through a cat flap hole into the chicken run (that we thought was fully goat proof) and eat some growers pellets this morning.

I spoke to the vet immediately and she advised me to keep an eye on him but she thinks he'll be fine.

I filled the feeder this morning with one full scoop of feed and seven chickens ate from it before going out into the paddock. They don't eat it all though so he definitely would have eaten some although it's not possible to know how much.

I'm checking on him once an hour and so far he's fine. He's eating hay and seems happy.

I'd really like to know how long it takes for signs of bloat to show as I am really worried about him.

Thanks very much
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: How long does bloat take to happen?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 05:22:44 pm »
No idea, never had it from eating layers' pellets. All you can do is keep him on hay/water only, have some bicarb and oil ready. If he does walk on a lead I wold take him out and about, keep him moving and check that he is producing proper pellets and that his rumen is working. Hope he is ok  :fc:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 06:52:44 pm »
I would have thought between 24-48 hours? Just keep and eye on his backend, and swelling on the left side and frothy mouth.
But be sure to have the bicarb/oil ready just incase  :fc:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 08:37:55 pm »
You could give some strong mint tea as that can help.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 09:17:45 pm »
If its not broke don't fix it, give it nothing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 09:46:52 pm »
I would have thought between 24-48 hours? Just keep and eye on his backend, and swelling on the left side and frothy mouth.
But be sure to have the bicarb/oil ready just incase  :fc:

Also listen for heavy duty gurgling from the rumen.  Might be worth checking in the night if you're really worried - the pressure on surrounding organs from a distended rumen can be immense.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 10:07:35 pm »
Thanks very much for the advice.
We've just been out to check on him and so far he's fine. I'm ready with bicarb and oil if necessary.
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 02:47:16 pm »
Is the wee man ok?

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 02:53:21 pm »
Anke - There was no sign of bloat or even a mild stomach ache! He obviously didn't eat very much but I am a worrier and I watched him very closely for 48 hours.

The pophole into the chicken run has been modified so the hens can squeeze through but the goats definitely can't.

Also I now know about using bicarb and oil should we ever be in the unfortunate situation to need it.

I much appreciate the advice!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 04:27:53 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS