Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cut list for own butchery  (Read 7000 times)

HappyHippy

Re: Cut list for own butchery
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 09:25:14 am »
Spent 5 hours today with the other half butchering our pigs, only got through 1.5 pigs, wow it takes more effort than I realised but the meat looks great.
Yup, it's sooooo time consuming! We did one ourselves - took a whole day! We got a butcher friend to come and help with another - it took him less than 40 minutes to do an entire pig and we had less than a bowlful of waste... Still took the best part of 4 hours to weigh, package and label everything though  ::)
I just let the butcher do it now, he's spent years doing it and has a level of skill I'll just never be able to achieve - worth his weight it gold  :thumbsup:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 07:41:11 am »
Thanks,

Bionic. I did my sausage making yesterday and have made some simple sage, salt and pepper ones and some coverdale cheese and ale ones using a fruity traditional beer from a micro brewery.

I also have some drycure cheek in the fridge and some drycure panchetta with it. I plan to make a fre scotch eggs with some of the mince too.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 09:27:29 am »
Thanks,

Bionic. I did my sausage making yesterday and have made some simple sage, salt and pepper ones and some coverdale cheese and ale ones using a fruity traditional beer from a micro brewery.

I also have some drycure cheek in the fridge and some drycure panchetta with it. I plan to make a fre scotch eggs with some of the mince too.

I like the sound of the cheese and ale ones  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 01:33:33 pm »
Pancetta curing tonight. Looks a bit fat on the belly but I am sure it will be fine.

I froze all cuts after butchery and then take them into fridge to defrost and then cure them.

Still not plunged into the air dried ham yet  -not sure if I need to lard it all over or not / curing salt etc etc.....so many choices.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 02:30:40 pm »

I had some pancetta that was quite fatty but if you cook it slowly the fat renders down quite a bit.

When I did my air dried ham I didn't have a clue what I was doing but it turned out well. I just used ordinary salt and made sure every little bit was well covered in salt.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 04:49:30 pm »
Air dried ham: we also use ordinary salt and the lard is smeared on every little bit of exposed flesh (so none on the skin).

Worked out really well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS