Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grants to establish orchards  (Read 4188 times)

little brown sheep

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant
Grants to establish orchards
« on: October 22, 2015, 08:18:09 pm »
Does anyone know anything about grants that may be available to establish orchards in Wales!

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Re: Grants to establish orchards
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 09:07:04 pm »
No, but am replying so i get to hear what others say!

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 09:19:12 am »
I'm up in Scotland so it might not be the same, but I found out about (and successfully got) a grant for planting apple trees through my local orchard group. I was also lucky to be able to access free training courses on planning, planting, grafting and pruning  :thumbsup:
Find out if there's an orchard group in your area and join up  ;)
They'll give you help and support (and will also know which varieties do well in your area)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 04:50:33 pm »
You could try contacting the Marcher Apple Network - they'll probably know of anything on offer.

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 11:25:02 am »
I love the sound of this, any help in Wales for a pear and plum orchard?

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 04:15:14 pm »
WAG do something under the Glastir scheme.  Worth contacting Woodland Trust but they look at orchards that are considerably different.  We had our original one through Glastir however we have just planted an Silvoarable Agriforestry scheme of over 2,000 trees on contour (permaculture based scheme).  We managed to get a grant from Woodland Trust but the money came through private CSRs.  Its a unique and was granted on this one off forest.  There is very little else help out there, we had tried various avenues and there was no one else to help us.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 06:02:11 pm »
There was a campaign a few years back to save England's apple orchards as they had gone into neglect. I can't remember the apple juice company which was doing it but they said with every carton you buy you're helping to save English apple orchards, so far they had saved over 200 I think. You could look on the welsh governments website and see what funding they have available. Always good to ask around too, so maybe anyone remotely involved in large orchard production. The problem is they may not because it isn't apple, you might with pear although am not sure. Would it be for commercial or own use?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS