Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: windfall apples  (Read 1987 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
windfall apples
« on: October 22, 2015, 02:30:21 am »
my neighbour has given me unlimited access to her numerous crab apple trees  :thumbsup:
great news for me, but I thought about picking up the windfall (plenty of those in these gales!) for the goats but I'm worried about acidiosis? They get normal apple peelings quite often without any problems.
Is it ok to mix in a handful of the crab apples here and there into their feed, not huge amounts, or avoid altogether?  ???
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: windfall apples
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 06:13:44 am »
Small quantities are fine, but I would chop them up. Small round bits are prime candidates for choking on... only danger is that they find them themselves and gorge on them.

Other than that...crab apple jelly is always a favourite (with the human though).

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 09:33:41 am »
Crab apple and mint jelly is lovely too with lamb (or goat!)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 09:53:07 am »
Thanks devonlady
The apples are all in the house and I've been cutting them up and mixing them in with other things
Thankfully they can't get into my neighbours garden
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 10:23:50 pm »
Beducked's goats like them for a treat.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 08:08:54 pm »
As Lesley says mine adore them as a treat. They get them a few at a time and will mug people for them. One did escape and gorge herself and had horrible scours for 2 days but is still not deterred and will fight the others for them still. Then again they go nuts for one trees fruit which dos smell really "appley". the others are nice but nothing to fight over!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS