Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First time pig keepers - boars or gilts?  (Read 7587 times)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: First time pig keepers - boars or gilts?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 11:33:18 am »
Hi everyone - thank you for your comments which we are finding very helpful - in reply to waterbuffalofarmer we are re-assured that the gender of our weaners isn't really a problem (which Is what we more of less thought). We had grand ideas of buying rare breeds however as we do not intend to breed in our first season it did seem a bit OTT so we have decided that breed is not so important this Spring whilst we learn the ropes however once we have gained some experience we will turn our thoughts to breeding - not sure therefore which breed to look at.... We will post periodically to let people know how we are getting on!

Why would rare breeds be a "grand idea"? Those rare breeds sold on for meat rearing will not have met breed standard. You have to eat them to keep them as they say.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 12:13:08 pm »
Whatever your chosen breed I, too, would advise against keeping on weaners originally purchased as meat animals, and breeding from them.  Not all weaners sold for meat will have poor conformation or not meet the breed standard in some way, but many will and if you're new to pig keeping you'll find it difficult to differentiate.   If you intend to start breeding I suggest buying registered pedigree stock from a reputable breeder, who will also provide plenty of advice if needed.  If you can ind one a second or third time in-pig sow is a good way of starting out - she'll know what she's doing, even if you don't.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 12:59:55 pm »
There will be a difference in the price between meat and breeding weaners. If sold as meat weaners a breeder will not register them for you to use for breeding. You can of course buy pedigree weaners for meat as in they are birth notified so have provenance if you wish to sell them as pedigree saddleback pork for eg.

You should look for meat weaners with good conformation but their colour marking maybe wrong or their underlines.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 10:47:05 pm »
Oh, here we go again. Yes, I know what boar taint smells and tastes like, but I have never had it in traditional breed boars up to 10 months/ 160kg live weight. Last week, I sent off a February-born (so nine months old) show boar who had already served one of my gilts. Not a hint of taint in the meat, and I know what I'm looking for.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 07:04:49 am »
It is important not to put it across the exit if you need the pigs to walk out of the field at the end- because they won't even if you have taken the wire away.

How is this managed in practice? I can see they won't walk over the electric line even when it isn't there, but how do you stop them escaping out of an unelectrified exit? Does it therefore need to have a proper solid exit barrier/gate?

I've seen total electric pens before but I'm guessing they turn it off and drive the trailer right in to get the pigs out at the end?

Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS