Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: crab apple recipes/ideas?  (Read 4201 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
crab apple recipes/ideas?
« on: October 15, 2015, 01:44:07 am »
hi

my neighbour has 5 heavily laden crab apples trees in her garden and we can pick as much as we want, planning some kind of wine/cider, Oh has already done an apple jelly. Anyone got any more suggestions or tips?
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: crab apple recipes/ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:49:54 am »
Spiced crab apples! Will post the recipe this evening.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 10:34:13 am »
Gather what you can from the hedgerows and include ithe apples in a hedgerow jelly.  We use damsons, hips, haws, elderberries, wild strawberries and blackberries, freezing them as available and having a big jelly-making session.  The flavour is really intense and like nothing you could ever buy in the shops.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 08:23:20 pm »
going to pick up the windfall apples over the weekend for the goats but I'm sure I'll manage to get a few more off the trees ;-) problem with hedgerow style is we don't have them! I can get some rosehips and possibly a few brambles but its a late harvest with the weather
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 08:48:28 pm »
That sounds good MF.
Recipe for Spiced Crab Apples.. makes about 3 jars.

One and a half lbs crab apples
Half a pint cider vinegar
One and a half lbs sugar
Half a level teaspoon ground ginger
Quarter level teaspoon ground nutmeg
One level teaspoon cinnamon

No need to peel and core apples as they will mellow into a soft candy. Halve apples and nick out any bad bits with a pointy knife.
Heat sugar and vinegar together in a pan until sugar is dissolved then add spices and apples.
Simmer gently together until the apples are tender but unbroken, then lift apples gently and put into warmed jars with a slotted spoon. Keep warm while you boil up the syrup until reduced by half. Pour immeadiately over apples in jars. Leave to go cold then put vinegar proof lids on. Leave for at least two months before using.

Good with cold meats and strong cheese and makes a lovely gift.

Crab Apple Syrup....

Four lbs crab apples
Water, see recipe
One pint sugar to one pint juice

Wash apples and cut in half, again no need to peel or core but nick out any bad bits. Drop the apples into cold water as you cut them. Drain and put into a large pan with just enough cold water to cover them. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins until fruit is soft and pulpy. strain through a bag of double muslin overnight.
Measure liquid into a saucepan and to every pint of juice add one lb of sugar.
Bring to the boil and, stirring continuously, boil steadily for just 3 minutes. Skim and pour into clean warm bottles, cool before putting on screw caps.
To use put two or three tablespoons into a tumbler and top up with soda water. Good and healthy for children.
Recipes taken from "All Good Things Around Us" by Pamela Michael

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 08:56:31 pm »
wow thanks for all that Devonlady  :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 09:22:20 pm »
My mum used to make wild crab apple jelly, which was really nice on hot buttered scones.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 09:32:45 pm »
OH made crab apple jelly yesterday, gorgeous colour  ;D

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 07:53:47 pm »
just made my first batch of spiced apples Devonlady  :thumbsup: smells amazing!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS