Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long on box rest ?  (Read 8766 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
How long on box rest ?
« on: April 05, 2010, 10:03:37 am »
Hi my farrier discovered my pony had laminitis just over a week ago so I've kept him in on a high fibre reduced diet. He was slightly pottery in walk on the back feet when I last checked but seems ok now although slight warmth in coronets. I haven't had the vet out yet as I know he'd only have told me to do the same but what's the view on getting pony back out?

I've set up a small starvation paddock and was thinking of letting him have an hour out for the next few days and then try to gradually build him up. Problem I have is we are off to Florida in just over 2 weeks so I'm worried about leaving him with anyone else... Would I be better to keep him in til we are back? That would mean he'd be in for nearly 6 weeks tho...

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: How long on box rest ?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:43:51 am »
Helen, one of my Shetlands has a touch of laminitis and in the summer we have to keep him in his stable for 3 or 4 days at a time, most weeks and he just hates it. We buy Molichaf that is approved by the laminitic society which he likes. However, by day 4 or 5 he starts pacing the stable and gets himself all sweated up and unhappy. So, ofcourse we let him out till the next time it flares up. I would say keeping your horse locked up for so long may drive him insane and ofcourse you are going to worry about him the whole length of your holiday. Have a great time, I am sure he will be well looked after.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 11:10:14 am »
Thanks it's such a worry.. He's about 20 and never had it before but my daughter has lost interest so hardly ever rides now and I'm too heavy to sit on him and he won't lunge just winds him up.
I love the cantankerous old devil to bits tho so am worried about him.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:27:03 am »
How active is he at the moment, can he be taken out for walks in hand?  At least that will use up a bit of energy.  The vet would probably give him bute to help with pain, but you can get no bute if you want to take the edge off it for him.   I have had a filly on box rest for 6 weeks before now, but that was for a back injury, she could nt walk properly let alone trot, so we started off with 5 mins out and built up over time as she improved (our Mctimoney practitioner was great)   But yes if he does go a bit loopy after too much convalenscing i would walk him out :)  We also give the occasional bran mash with epsom salt and garlic if a pone is a bit footy....clean the blood up a bit.

I hope all goes well for the old dude ;)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 12:26:19 pm »
Thanks Hellybee he's on no bite already. I will try to walk him around for a bit and see how he goes.

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 04:05:40 pm »
I have found the key with lami is to get them back out as quickly as possible in a field with hardly any grass. They do still need to eat otherwise they will develop gut problems.
I have in the past fenced off a small area, got some sheep to graze it right down to nothing and then put the pony in. Then got some poor quality hay, and fed that with some approved molichaff. You do need a mineral block in the field as well. The other thing is to keep them moving, so I put the hay in haynets in corners of the field, very small amounts in each so they have to move around to eat. Ideally take him out for a little walk on soft ground every day as well. I feel for you and your pony, lami is such a pain!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 04:19:57 pm »
Thanks Jembo. He's been out in the starvation paddock for the last hour. He went nuts when I let him out cantering round and bucking. Thankfully the ground is very soft. He's a little lame on the back foot but he has arthritis in that foot anyway so keeping him in couldve done that as he'd stiffen up. He's got poor hay my hay was all but ruined last year and he's on hifi lite with lamin shield powders. I think I've done everything i can now so fingers crossed we can manage things. Thanks all for the advice farrier is back in 8 days to trim him as he couldn't finish last time. Hopefully will be better news then.

Hardfeather

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 06:26:25 pm »
Laminitis is a very serious issue and one which takes a pretty long time to sort out properly. A pony which was diagnosed a week ago is far from ready to go out again. It can take weeks for the pain to diminish, and months for the hoof to grow back to anything like normal. If the pedal bone has begun to rotate, there could be very serious long term damage done by turning the pony out too early.

Starvation paddocks are dangerous too, especially at this time of year, as the growing grass is stuffed full of fructans which will just cause another case very quickly.

Ponies with laminitis need to be kept in, preferably on a bed of sand which will help support the sole and the pedal bone, and fed only enough hay to keep them alive. Any excess weight must be got off them as quickly as possible, and they should have bute regularly.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 08:24:25 pm »
He equally needs to have access to vits and mins though, of course if you already doing that ignore me :D  I wouldnt feed hay alone, but that s just me :) 

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 09:17:26 pm »
I'm giving him lamin shield., hay and hi fi lite. Would you give him anything else? He went out for an hour and half today on starvation paddock. It really is a starvation paddock, more poached mud than grass. He had no heat in his feet and actually moved better tonight as he also has arthritis so gets stiff if doesn't move around.
It's tough cause he's an old boy and given my daughter has lost interest he's pretty much retired so him having a happy retirement is the primary goal now. Not bothered if he can't be ridden just want him to be happy and comfortable.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 10:50:46 pm »
Top spec have a great range of products, they have a very good info  line too and always happy to help, they dont push the products and are very informative :D

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 10:59:08 pm »
Thanks Hellybee. I'm hoping he's ok from here on

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 10:49:38 pm »
I came across this and thought of you and your boy!

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/296622.html
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 11:02:45 pm »
Thanks little blue. He's been great this week no lameness no heat so looks good. Farrier comin 13th as needs to trim properly so fingers crossed. He's havin 2 hrs out per day but it's mostly poached ground but at least he can stretch his legs. As I said before to me now the biggest concern is that he's pain free and happy so hoping that things are ok soon :-) will take a look at the link cheers

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS