Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Charolais ram lamb, 75-80 kilo and 7 month old  (Read 2399 times)

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
Charolais ram lamb, 75-80 kilo and 7 month old
« on: October 11, 2015, 05:21:10 pm »
Just bought a Charolais Ram lamb recently to serve some of my hoggets. I was just asking for opinions on his age for breeding. He seems to be big enough to serve the ewes (pick out the smallest ewes of the lot,) but I am not sure how many ewes to put him with or should i run him with the shearling texel and put all 80 ewes with the 2 rams. The ram lamb is just 7 months old and just under 80 Kilo.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Charolais ram lamb, 75-80 kilo and 7 month old
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 07:38:35 pm »
I wouldn't run him with the other boy, personally, give him his own girls we would, they may end up fighting up lots and not tupping. 

We should be on it our selves in the next week or so, it's come around so quick !

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 05:48:14 pm »
Separate it is then! yes time flies , mines going out tomorrow  :thumbsup:

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:05:39 am »
All ours go in together too busy to fight and if one does not work the others will so doesn't muck up our lambing. We bought a new one this year and we kept separate till put in with the ewes so they don't fight. When you take them out they should be fine together you have to be careful of fighting if changes like shearing and the build up to breeding season not good to add a new one then as they have nothing else to do but fight. Introduction's should be in a small pen together for a day to start with and then should be fine together.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 10:28:09 am »
I agree if you decide to do an intro, small pen way forward no room for run up and also they spread they're smel to each other.  We doing two groups.  Rams in with older dams and then swap over to shearlings a few weeks later.  Was going Suffolk but we ve decided to stick with what we know really works here, more LLEYN!!

Happy tupping whatever you decide xx

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 03:24:26 pm »
I run ram lambs with shearlings with no problems

The shearlings (or older rams) dont see the ram lambs as a threat, they tend to just be getting on with it, the bossiest ewes mob the ram for the first few days and the ram lambs work tupping the ewes which cant get to the ram straight away
Works quite well infact and keeps the lambing time tight

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS