Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How many pigs per acre?  (Read 27669 times)

novicesmallholder

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Worcestershire
How many pigs per acre?
« on: April 04, 2010, 03:41:00 pm »
Hi all,

looking to stock some GOS in the next few months, but need to fence off space first -1 to 2 acres. Looking for them to live as naturally as poss outdoors. Will be taking 2 young girls to eventually breed off and two young boys to raise for meat (and therefore giving us time to get used to pig husbandry etc). How many pigs would I be able to raise per acre - taking into account there will be young being raised in this space (will be farrowing pens/area within this)?

Cheers,

Mark   

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: How many pigs per acre?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:00:31 pm »
You need to subdivide the area; firstly so you can separate the males and females; you also need to sub divide to allow for farrowing; and just as importantly to allow the ground to rest or it wiil become "pig sick",So basically divide it maybe into 6-8 areas and use accordingly;if you can allow more land for their use then all the better.Personaly i wouldn't add to your breeding gilts 2-3 litters a year can play havoc with that amount of ground.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:06:51 pm by gavo »

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:50:16 am »
it also depend on the soil, we are on heavy clay and 2 pigs can kill half an acre pretty quick, sandy soil holds pigs much better!!
gavo, not sure about the soil being pig sick.....im pigsick of sinking in soil!!!!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:55:32 am »
Same here we had a few dry weeks and it was starting to get firm but now we've had a week of rain and back to a bog.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:30:07 am »
The Dept of Agri here, are suggesting I could put 6 SOWS on an acre.  It would be the Somme and worse within weeks if I did that in this weather.   ;D

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 07:03:25 pm »
i agreee but then the dept of ag are not thinking about the aesthestics only the technicality, technically you can keep pigs in a concrete pit, it won't harm the pigs but would do nothing for my soul. We've been knee deep in mud and throwing up new fencing to move the pigs round, it's no fun working in mud and i like my pigs to have something to root in after all that's what nature intended. i wouldn't put more than 2 breeding sows on that acreage and you'd want to aim to sell as many piglets as possible as weaners, it's amazing how quickly they turn the grass to soil.
good luck, Helen

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 09:50:14 am »
6 tamworth weaners on acre for 6 weeks, summer time - had to move them off after that, despite really good feeding, not a blade of grass left.

Mark have you got guaranteed buyers for the weaners, or a guaranteed market for the meat, averaging 11 piglets per sow per litter from just two sows would mean 44 piglets throughout the year.  Thats a lot of piglets to support/sell. 

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 09:58:07 am »
Recipe:

Take 1 acre of nice grassy paddock

Add 2 lines of electric fence at 6 & 12 inches

Add 6 Saddleback wenaers approx 3 months old

next day herd pigs back in a put up electric fence ( remember to connect electric supply this time)

watch over the next 3-4 weeks as all signs of green have turned into a bog!

as grass is eaten check electric fence as pigs like to push large divots or turf against the bottom line, rendering useless!

Feed pigs lovingly and continue to watch all signs of life leave the paddock excpet some extremely happy pigs.

3-4 months after pigs have arrived its time to sit back and enjoy a good sausage sandwich or roast leg of pork and remember the good old days when that piece of nice land was once grassy.

Capitalmind

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 11:40:09 am »
Hi all, I posted here as this old post does cover my query, almost! I have 3.1 acres of wild brushland that I've just annihilated with a tractor and hedge trimmer so it can be accessed and it's been left to recover for a few weeks. It would be perfect for pigs (most likely Tamworth Weiners) as it has a dense hedge and bank, water and lots and lots of roots and plants to eat. As it's 'thick', would I be able to increase the pigs per acre or just turn over the sections further apart?

My desire is to have the pigs eat everything then sell the pigs (except what I'd like to keep for myself) and reclaim the land once weed and plant free.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 07:00:52 pm »
Yes, we have run a far higher stocking density for a season to do just that, as long as the forage is there you will be fine. Next year we plan to clear a few acres early season with a mob of 10-15 pigs.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 07:00:36 am »
Hi all, I posted here as this old post does cover my query, almost! I have 3.1 acres of wild brushland that I've just annihilated with a tractor and hedge trimmer so it can be accessed and it's been left to recover for a few weeks. It would be perfect for pigs (most likely Tamworth Weiners) as it has a dense hedge and bank, water and lots and lots of roots and plants to eat. As it's 'thick', would I be able to increase the pigs per acre or just turn over the sections further apart?

My desire is to have the pigs eat everything then sell the pigs (except what I'd like to keep for myself) and reclaim the land once weed and plant free.

It's a nice thought, the weed free bit, but very far from our experience.    After our saddle backs (we had the same idea, got 2 girls 2 boys... And then decided we were not ready to become breeders, not least from a land rotation perspective, but also from the perspectives raised above re market for weaners etc) went, we did have a totally clear patch....... And 6 months later we had a dock thistle and bracken seed bed, which we are still fighting..... £300 worth of contractor reseeding with excellent grass seed up the Swanee!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:04:33 am by FiB »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 02:14:40 pm »
If you put young weaners on very rough ground they can get food impacted in their gut - brambles are not very easily digestible.  Rooting will turn up all the seeds that have been lying in the soil (for decades in the case of ragwort) waiting for the flash of sunlight they need to start them into growth, hence the proliferation of docks generally seen.  One year's seeding, seven (or seventy) years' weeding .....

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 12:12:50 pm »
I have also been a bit disappointed in pigs ability (or lack of it) to clear rough ground. I have two OSB weaners (quite large now, about 45kg) and several people told me that they would dig up the roots of a small patch of brambles and nettles in the corner of their field.

To date they have had no impact whatsoever. In fact that weeds seem to be more vigorous than ever. I'm thinking of smearing peanut butter on the roots to see if that will encourage them to give them a chew. ;)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 04:34:34 pm »
Get some pig nuts and scatter them amongst the brambles and roots. . . . they will destroy them quick sharp!

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 06:40:49 pm »
My pigs will only dig up roots when there in a small area currenty on 1 acre all the weeds have grown like mad the second I put them in a 20ftx20ft electric area clear they much prefer to just graze the grass etc when it's like this

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS