Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cherry Tomatoes  (Read 1824 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Cherry Tomatoes
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:53:33 am »
For the first time and due to lack of space I decided to try cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets in the pollytunnel. They have done very well. Bushy and hang down I am still getting tomatoes off them. So pleased and will do this again. Also did some lettuce and it worked OK. Thinking I will add herbs to the basket idea next year. The ground space I used for cabbage etc and this worked so well. Freezer has plenty veg in it to see us through the winter. Thinking of trying strawberry plants now. Can I lime the ground and then plant or does the ground need to be left a bit. I put in a lot of well rotted horse manure last winter but not sure how this would work with strawbrries if I did the same again.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Cherry Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 09:00:24 pm »
Solve the problem with strawberries in the baskets. I used to grow them like that to keep the slugs off.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 10:06:41 am »
There are lots of ways of making a strawberry tower if you google, saves space, keeps the slugs off and is easy to net against birds.(Though you could always plant a few especially for the birds!)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 02:55:20 pm »
Sounds a great idea to grow strawberries from thecrop bars.  How would you capture tthe runners?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 09:10:08 am »
Plant them into a hanging basket?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS