Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Disappearing goose :(  (Read 2698 times)

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
Disappearing goose :(
« on: October 08, 2015, 09:20:55 pm »
Oe of my five geese has vanished. Not entirely sure if it was overnight or during the day (it was only just getting light when I left the house this morning and I have to admit I didn't actually count them).
If it was a fox attack, would I see any evidence? Could it have flown away??

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Disappearing goose :(
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 10:06:31 pm »
If it was a fox attack am pretty sure there would be evidence of feathers. It may have wandered off maybe to make a nest, what about stolen? Have you clipped their wings? What breed are they? I have some info here about geese flying.http://metzerfarms.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/clipping-duck-and-goose-wings-to.html Hope it helps and i really hope you find her. Could you keep us updated?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 10:26:05 pm »
Well when I say goose, I really mean gander. So unless I've been sold a mislabeled or very confused bird, I doubt it's off on a nest anywhere! They're Embdens, which I was told don't need to be clipped, but as a precaution I may clip the others just in case. Seems a bit strange that on its first flight it would get any further than the next field, don't you think?

Will get on the case at first light tomorrow!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 10:29:17 pm »
Do any of your neighbours keep geese? he could be off like coximus's ramon a mating mission :roflanim: no offence
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 02:33:12 am »
It couldn't have got itself stuck somewhere could it?
its a good few years ago so can't remember detail but one of mine managed to get itself jammed in a tub or a bucket or maybe a tub fell over onto it, anyway luckily I found it, a bit squashed up but it stretched itself out, hobbled off and it was fine by the end of the day.
Hope your boy turns up safe

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 09:25:22 am »
Well, mystery solved- I found a scattering of feathers and clumps of something rather grizzly up at the top of the croft this morning. Looks like it may have been a fox after all. Think I need to more careful about shutting the boys in, and maybe not letting them out so early in the morning. :(

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 09:43:16 am »
Am so sorry to hear about that. According to a lot of studies it says that ganders are quite hard to kill by a predator. Such as a fox. Do you have poultry electric wire? That I found kept foxes out and even a dog of mine which had a bad habit.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 12:43:43 pm »
No I don't have electric fencing, I had probably got a bit complacent to be honest as the boys are getting quite big and aggressive now so I thought they could stand up for themselves. Oh well, lesson learned, they will be locked in their shed at sundown every night without fail!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 02:38:43 pm »
Sorry  :(
could you feed them near the shed in the evenings so they are nearby and when you let them out so they stay near for a while?
Sadly foxy willl probably be back now he's found a food supply.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS