Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worming  (Read 1944 times)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
worming
« on: October 08, 2015, 06:21:45 pm »
It seems that lots of back yard poultry keepers don't worm there poultry, I have heard so called expert stating that they don't worm and see no need to do so. I worm twice a year what are your views.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: worming
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 06:27:36 pm »
I do everything at the start of every quarter and the turkeys a few weeks before Christmas.

Feed is far to expensive not to!

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:45:39 am »
i only worm mine once a year using a medicated layers pellet for a week, the information on the bag says for it to be used only once.

I always do it during the moult so they start the winter clean.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 05:18:51 pm »
once in the summer - unless you have evidence of worming needed I am not keen on unnecessary chemical intervention.  When I had chickens wandering the farm for years I never bothered.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 05:32:30 pm »
I do mine twice a year with medicated pellets for 7 days; April and September.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 06:00:13 pm »
I worm mine with wormwood, I put it in their food every day and it keeps down the worm burden and there is no withdrawal on that.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 06:55:03 pm »
I worm mine with wormwood, I put it in their food every day and it keeps down the worm burden and there is no withdrawal on that.

where the literature to support that please? have you tested worm burdens in those dosed with wormwood and those not? how do you administer it and how much do you dose each with? just curious :)

I worm quarterly, way too many corvids and starlings about for me not to. Having lost some nice birds to gape worm I'll not risk it again.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:06:12 pm by lord flynn »

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 07:16:26 pm »
I worm spring and autumn with medicated pellets (Marriages ones).  Mine are mostly free range tho a few youngsters are in a run - lots of wild birds about and some nick the corn so no doubt whatever they have my birds will pick up.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 07:29:38 pm »

where the literature to support that please? have you tested worm burdens in those dosed with wormwood and those not? how do you administer it and how much do you dose each with? just curious :)

I worm quarterly, way too many corvids and starlings about for me not to. Having lost some nice birds to gape worm I'll not risk it again.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/nz-lifestyle-block/67116779/7-ways-to-keep-your-chickens-wormfree
This is one piece on natural remedies, down at the bottom, I give mine a handful of dried wormwood in their food everyday and it helps to keep the worm burden down, but not eradicate it. I have always used wormwood for my chickens and it has always worked, I have never done egg counts for worms. I also give them grated garlic in with their carrot feed which also helps to keep the worm burden down.http://www.farmandyardremedies.co.uk/ourshop/prod_1231926-Chicken-Wormwood-Complex-50ml.html A lot of people go for the natural approach in worming, I have always done it and it has worked.[hens[/url]
These are some people who use natural wormers which work for their chickens. Wormwood has been proven to keep the worm burden down in animals, just depends on the correct doseage, as it is quite potent, I use a small handful sprinkled into their food.
https://www.organicnutrition.co.uk/products/indherbs/herb-wormwood.htm
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:34:03 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS