Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Green manures and fruit trees  (Read 2028 times)

VM

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Nr Sleaford, Lincolnshire
Green manures and fruit trees
« on: October 07, 2015, 07:56:39 pm »
I haven't used green manures before but have some I bought a while back from Franchi Seeds and want to sow. Have some beds I could sow in but also am wondering about sowing between some fruit trees. They are still young, three year old plum trees and I haven't looked after them very well so far - think they need some TLC - plus ground currently very weedy. Any opinions about green manure around/between them, or alternatively comfrey as a longer term plan - or cover ground between them with cardboard, manure etc? We don't yet have enough compost to mulch with that but have access to lots of manure.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Green manures and fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 11:34:43 pm »
I was told that you should leave the soil round plum trees alone as it doesn't like being dug round. Our former neighbour planted one in his front garden and grew bulbs and other flowers round it. It didn't produce any fruit so he did some research and was told it was the digging that caused it. He grassed over the area. I don't know if it worked as we moved away soon after.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 11:20:19 am »
The green manure would be fine as a chop and drop if you don't dig. I would put down cardboard to kill off the weeds, cover with the manure and sow the green manure directly into it.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

VM

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Nr Sleaford, Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 02:00:25 pm »
Thank you, that sounds like a plan.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 03:50:43 pm »
Just make sure that you keep the manure away from the trunks
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS