Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello All  (Read 2977 times)

Dave Marr

• Joined Oct 2015
Hello All
« on: October 06, 2015, 07:16:28 pm »
 :wave:
Hello All. A brief introduction needed I think.
We live in a semidetached in suburban Surrey. We have 3 Weimaraners at present (2 of which are rescue) and we work them on pheasant shoots during season. We have had chickens for a good many years but always hankered for ducks too.
We were flooded Christmas Eve 2013 and unfortunately lost our chickens - not through drowning but through stress of the ordeal & temporary rehoming. We, like the chickens, had to vacate our home for 8 months while it was being fixed but once home again, wanted to get back to some normality with a new flock of chickens and maybe some ducks.
To cut a long story short, we may have gone a bit overboard. We now have 7 chickens, a young cockerel, 7 ducks, 3 ferrets and 2 pygmy goats, as well as our 3 hounds. Have I mentioned the tropical fish?
We have a veg plot & greenhouse, 2 apple trees & a pear tree and all rainwater off house & outbuildings feed to a reservoir/pool for pumping onto garden. I also fly fish (when I get time) and my good friend shoots deer on a regular basis, so freezer generally stocked with trout, pheasant, venison and occasionally woodcock, pigeon & rabbit. To be honest, the family totally tired of trout in any form so do a deal with the local fishmongers on way home.  Salmon steaks, king prawns, scallops or smoked haddock much more appreciated by the family than trout again!
Anyway, that's us. Totally accidental small smallholders and very new to it all. Hoping joining this forum will give us the support & advice we need and just maybe we could help others with what we've learnt so far too.
Cheers
Dave & Jacquie Marr

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Hello All
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:00:37 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The flooding must have been awful but it sounds as if you are well on your way back up now
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:52:44 am »
Sounds like you are getting back to it with a vengeance!
Well done and keep going.
I like all the bartering you do.  A much underestimated skill of smallholders

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:54:59 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 01:56:25 pm »
Welcome, I like the idea of swapping produce and providing your own food. We are on that path as well, but don't have as many resources nearby as you do. My aim is to provide 75% of my own food, we are probably at about 40% at the mo  :excited:

I have always wanted a Weimaraner so you will have to post some pics  :innocent:
________
Caroline

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 11:12:36 pm »
 :wave: welcome from Shropshire. I have dairy goats.

Salamanda

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 04:06:55 pm »
Welcome to you from Llanrhidian.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 06:14:32 pm »
Hi and welcome. This is the best place I know for advice and support

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 10:15:43 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum from mid wales. When my parents started farming, back in the late 90's, they farmed sheep, goats and longhorn cattle, since about 14 years ago we have kept Mediterranean water buffaloes. We stumbled over them in a newspaper ad and haven't looked back since. It sounds very exciting for you all. I am sorry to hear about the flood that must have been difficult. All the best for the future and if you have any questions we will all be very happy to answer them as best as we can
 :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 01:54:30 pm »
Hi from Caithness  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 07:37:24 pm »
Hello from Carnoustie  :wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 01:03:43 am »
Hello from the south of Scotland.  Your story reminds us that you don't have to live in the country to feed yourself very well without spending hours in the Black Hole of Tesco.

If you have wild salmon left over, or too much, salmon fish cakes can be truly delicious  :hungry:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS