Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Water supply  (Read 3503 times)

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
Water supply
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:34:10 am »
We are considering making an offer for a bit of land that's come up for sale a couple of miles away, it would double our holding and give good summer grazing for the sheep.

Only thing is there is no water on site. Could we overcome this by using a bowser to fill a water trough? I'm thinking one that we'd fill up at home and tow to the field.  Does anyone do this? Would the water stay fresh enough?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Water supply
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 12:24:36 pm »
Yes you can. It's a pain in the a**e but it's perfectly doable. You'll need a sturdy trailer if you use an IBC because a full one weighs 1000kg. And you'll need to think about what you're going to tow it with especially if you've got to cross wet muddy ground. The water will be fine. If you're worried about it going off cover it to keep the sun out. We go through 1000 litres every two or three days so never been a problem. Getting mains water put in is on our to do list but we've managed as we are for quite a long time.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 12:45:10 pm »
Will you be putting a building or field shelter up?
We collect water of roofs (?) That would save some carrying if not all.

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 01:57:42 pm »
A field shelter might be a possibility, in which case we could collect rainwater, only thing is it's on hot summer days that they need water the most. It would definitely help though.

Hughsey I was thinking of getting one of those bowsers with its own wheels and towbar rather than putting one on a trailer. My car would be able to handle 1000L I think, I tow my horse (in a trailer) with it.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 03:42:53 pm »
If buying a posh bowser you need to consider security issues.?
 I s your car capable of towing 1.5 tonnes on wet greasey grass ?

On the upside... when I borrow sheep to graze my land we have a simple field trough which isn't connected, I filled it with a hose pipe and in 6 weeks with about 40 sheep it never needed filling again.  I think they get a lot of moisture from grass and don't actually drink alot.  So what ever you rig up it shouldn't need replenishing too often.

You can pick up old 600 gallon oil tanks cheaply enough, (in fact free sometimes) connect to a field shelter roof and it might well see you through. Buy your bowser and use it to cart to the tank when necessary.

Any neighbouring land with water you might be able to borrow ?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 06:18:42 pm »
Definitely any water you can collect off roofs etc is a big bonus. Storing enough to get you through the dry periods might be difficult though but it depends a lot on how much you might need. It's amazing how quickly a tank will fill up with rainwater even off quite a small area of roof.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 07:19:31 pm »
We have big problems with our water supply - winter is fine, dug a pond and bought a few old orange concentrate containers for collecting.  Apart from having to suck the odd frog through the pipes - its fine.

In summer we rellie on the mains - which only really gets presure after all those other folk get home from work at 5 and finish their baths and showers at 10 - about midnight it normally gets a trickle. :)

Water takes a long time to stangnent - water that look dirty is often the first they will drink  - not sating that they can tell the difference - but water you wouldnt drink (but could) is the water they love the best - no pollutions like chloride and the like.

One tip - better to carry a full container really slowly than a half full one fast.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS