Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Uni student saying hello!  (Read 2607 times)

Dave Taylor

• Joined Oct 2015
Uni student saying hello!
« on: October 04, 2015, 10:30:19 pm »
Hi all,

I'm originally from Doncaster, South Yorkshire and studying in Bangor North Wales at the moment. I'm not from a farming background however I am wanting to go towards farming after uni.

I kept and bred rare and traditional chicken breeds for a good ten years before uni, which first got me interested.

Hoping to meet people on here who could maybe help out with gaining some experience on farms, i'd love to go into sheep farming but at the moment any livestock experience is what I am looking for!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Uni student saying hello!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:06:25 am »
Hello and welcome from glomy Carnoustie :wave:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:14:41 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum  :wave:

I am in the wrong part of Wales for you but there are lots of others on here who might be able to give you some local experience.

Good luck
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:24:26 am »
Hello from North Wales. Only got 'borrowed' sheep grazing here so cant help but can send warm welcome to the Forum.  I am  new to this but learning so much reading so many helpful posts:wave:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 04:48:49 pm »
Hello from a wet and windy Devon. If no luck in your search on here (though I'm sure anyone would help out if they could) you may try putting a card up in your local agricultural merchants.

JackandJill

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Aberareon, Ceredigion
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 09:29:33 pm »
Hello, welcome :)

We haven't yet got started, but hope you find ppl that can help

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 09:39:26 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum, I suppose  I am unusual as I keep Mediterranean water buffalo, you can ask me anything about them if you want and I will try to answer as best as I can. Sadly I am not in a position to help atm. I think the best thing to do would be to help people lamb their sheep, there are always people who will be willing to take people on for work experience to do with lambing. I lamb on an outdoor system myself April-May, although that will change to March-April this year, hopefully. If you have any questions we will all be happy to answer them at any time. Feel free to PM if you want to ask any questions about farming.
Hope this helps
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 11:17:19 pm »
Hi and welcome from Shropshire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS