Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Couple of questions about run floors and cleaning  (Read 2672 times)

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
Couple of questions about run floors and cleaning
« on: October 04, 2015, 09:28:52 pm »
We've now had our chickens for several weeks although, sadly, that's included a month where I was away working. They're now providing all the eggs we could eat and I'm thoroughly enjoying tending to them and learning their characters.

Our run is a decent size, about 18mx15m and covered in grass. At least it was, I can already see the grass starting to go in places and I know that in a few months it's just going to mostly have gone. So the question is, what do I put down instead. I've seen people use granite sand, or chipped tyres so figured I'd ask here what people use.

Also, that's a lot of the proverbial sh1t they produce. Do folks just scoop it all up from the run or let it wash into the ground. If scooping, it seems like a lot of work to wander round with a spade lifting each load from all over the run. Up to now, it's not that big a quantity, but I can see it getting more underfoot as time goes on, particularly with the winter weather on it's way and I can't imagine a bog of Devon clay mud and chickensh1t being the best floor for the run.

Sorry if it's a daft question, I've just never dealt with this sort of quantity of guano before.

Oh and this is all separate from the stuff that's cleared from the chicken house and which goes on the compost heap.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Couple of questions about run floors and cleaning
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 09:47:01 pm »
how many chickens in that size run?

There's no easy answer-resting and rotating ground is necessary-let it recover. Garden lime can help on the bits you are resting but much depends on stocking density etc. Anything you put down onto earth will disappear into mud if not dug out and hardcore put down first-some surfaces will sink quicker than others, especially if the run isn't roofed.

I like sand as a surface, it help keeps chickens clean, and therefore feet and eggs clean. Put on to bare soil with no roof though, its a temporary solution. 

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 10:00:02 pm »
Mine are in a large run most of the day and then out and about whenever I am there. In the run I use hardwood chippings which do a good job at avoiding the ground becoming overloaded, slimy and muddy. They do sink into the ground eventually but mine haven't yet and have been down for over a year including last winter's deluges. I got them from an online company who deliver in bags or in bulk (bark-uk.com). With this floor I don't have to collect and clear poo other than from in the coop when cleaning that out.
Martha R

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 10:48:18 pm »
Mine are on concrete slabs with an extended run covered in hardwood chippings, running out of pecking so having a fence put up across my back yard to give them free rein on weeds.  Inside is a concrete floor so I use tarps, and pull them out and  swap with fresh ones.  Ground cover is shredded paper so all the inside gunge goes in the compost bin.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 06:46:08 am »
We poo pick the enclosure twice daily Justin. As a result after two years we still have all the grass. The poo is composted for two years, turning at the mid point to aerate it, before being used on the veg plot. I use a lobby brush set which is basically a dustpan and brush with long handles which avoids all the bending down.

I would avoid shredded tyres as there is no guarantee there are no pieces of extremely sharp wire in it. Our enclosures in the UK were bark chippings, which lasts about 12 months unless kept dry.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 11:50:37 am »
Google "grass in chicken run" and click on the images - that size of your run would be perfect for some of those frames with grass growing under them!

You're right, the current grass in your run won't last  ;) 

We used eco comfy bed and now laysoft in our 15X3.5m run on top of mesh (to stop predators). Because  it sits on top of the mesh the surface doesn't get muddy. Chicken runs can otherwise get very slippery  :( 
We clean that run up twice a day, but need to bin it as it's too much for the compost heap and when we did try composting it it caused a rat problem.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 01:24:35 pm »
Grazing frames, that's genius. Thanks very much for that, I'll be picking up some 2x4 and making a few of those, and probably getting a delivery of roadbase/gravel to spread over the areas around them. Hopefully that will prevent the place looking like the Somme come the winter, should make poo collection easier too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS