Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Messy bum!!  (Read 4477 times)

jacyjones

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Aberystwyth, Mid Wales
Messy bum!!
« on: June 07, 2008, 08:23:04 pm »
We have kept chickens for many years without too many problems. One of our old girls had to be despatched today - very unwell and a very messy bum. I have looked into diarrhoea and there is info on green, white and yellow!! My old girl was none of these colours - brownish really. The others are all fine although one has a slight case of the runs. I am going to try cider vinegar in the drinking water but any other suggestions please? the chickens and ducks are truly free range with 2 acres of meadow everyday and corn night and morning.

Sadly I have had no replies to this!! Hopefully not cos I am new - people seem to be reading but not saying anything!
I have decided to worm all the girls and see if this helps - they are all fine at the moment but I am sure it won't do any harm. :D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 04:40:57 pm by jacyjones »
Husband, 2 teenage daughters, 1 horse, 2 Springers, 2 White khaki campbells, 5 black rocks, 1 warren and 2 pet rats :)

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
Re: Messy bum!!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:18:40 pm »
Just looking through the poultry section and noticed this posting.  Our two white chickens seem to have very messy behinds but on inspection they are clean around the vent so we're not too worried at the moment.  A neighbour who is "up" on chooks has recommended "Capizol solution orale" to give to chickens when they have stomach parasites (apparently they get very messy bums with these), you can get it from the vet.  Hope your chickens are continuing well.
Hilary

jacyjones

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Aberystwyth, Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 05:26:48 pm »
Yes - my girls are all fine at the moment and due for another worming soon. Apart from a persistent and grumpy broody there are no problems!!  :D
Husband, 2 teenage daughters, 1 horse, 2 Springers, 2 White khaki campbells, 5 black rocks, 1 warren and 2 pet rats :)

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:42:49 am »
I wasnt worried before but now I am a bit worried about one of our white chickens, Hettie, she has now plucked out about an inch square's worth of feathers around her bum (the ones which were messy) and seems to have a bit of a slimy discharge.  She seems perfectly healthy otherwise, she's running around fine (took me ages to catch her!) and is eating and drinking well, in fact I'd say she is now the biggest of the bunch (we have 6).  I'm pretty sure she is not laying yet (we're getting 4 eggs a day most days) and she still hasnt ventured out the pop hole (3 are going out and 3 staying in so far).  She doesnt seem to be scratching herself and I didnt see any sign of mites or lice.   What do you think, is it worms?  Unfortunately it is Bastille Day today so I wont be able to get anything till tomorrow.
Hilary

Bog Spavin

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Nr Malton, North Yorkshire.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 07:36:12 pm »
One of my marans has a dirty bum from time to time, when she does I sit her in a bowl of warm soapy water and wash it for her. ::) She takes this treatment very well and it works a treat.

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 01:51:53 pm »
Perhaps I should try that then.  I noticed the other chickens pecking her bum and it was really sore and red so I separated her from them for a few days and wormed them all at the same time.  Her botty seemed to be clearing up so I let her back out with the others yesterday and today I noticed one of the others pecking at her again and lo and behold it is all red and sore again.  Do you think they are pecking because of the dirty feathers or because she is poorly?  I'm getting quite worried about her now although funnily enough she is getting really big and looks really healthy otherwise.  :-\
Hilary

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS