Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pregnant cat!  (Read 15536 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Pregnant cat!
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:38:48 pm »
well, after attempting to keep my siameseX in while in season, a rampant tom managed to get in through catflap but as it was locked for getting out he was stuck with her all night! guess what? yep, I'm going to be a granny by the looks of things  ::) 
she's about 5 weeks going by the date of her season (and the night that Tom spent here) and has a bigger belly than before and nipples are more pronounced. we used to breed maine coon cats (years ago) so its been a while.
last night snowball (she's a black siameseX, hence the daft name) climbed onto my ironing board and then tried to get ontop of the wardrobe, after failing miserably she climbed over the TV and tried to nestle down behind there. Its almost like she's nesting early? does that make sense?
have found a large drawer for her and made it into a bed, a quiet room away from the 4 children (all aged 8 and under, you can imagine th noise sometimes!) so hopefully things are in p lace and ready for her in about 4 weeks time.
Is there anything else I should be doing really? don't want to take her to the vet for scans etc unless its totally necessary
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Pregnant cat!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 04:12:30 pm »
I would not worry too much .....the deed has obviously been done!!  I assume this will be her first litter?  I am expecting my farm cats to have kittens, as they were visited by tomcats around the same time as your Snowball.  The only thing  I would say, is keep an eye on her nearer the time as cats are funny creatures, and may already have planned where to have the kittens, and it probably won't be the drawer you have kindly sorted out. 

Most of my cats produce 5 or 6 kittens, so get really enormous, and the last few days can hardly walk.  I watch for their tummy "dropping" which means the birth is pretty close, and then shut the cat inside.  In the past, I have had them go off under sheds and have the kittens, and there was nothing I could do until they were three weeks old, and came out themselves!

It would be better if you could put your drawer somewhere quiet away from the children, at least until the kittens are born.  You will be busy with a litter of kittens and the children too.

I am sure your cat will be fine, and there is no need to have scans etc.  You will have to post a pic of your kittens!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 05:16:41 pm »
Ah thanks for that Roxy. I was hoping you'd see this post as I knwo you have experience with your farm cats.
I've put the drawer in our 'dressing room' so it will be well away from the kids and luckily my 5 year old seems to have some instinct as yesterday she said "when snowball has her babies we need to be quiet and not touch them" so that's a start (the 7 year old is not so quiet mind you!!)

will keep an eye for the belly drop.

she seems quite barrel bellied and sooooo clingy to me! is this normal or just a siamese trait d you think?

thanks again xx   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 08:56:38 pm »
If you stil need help, try the "HELP" post, further down the list, i was given lots of advice  :cat:

Good luck

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 08:05:12 am »
Thanks Cameron - I'll look that one up now because I am feeling a bit unsure, especially as the cat is acting so weird but not due for 4 weeks (unless I missed a season?! no couldnt' have...)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 11:44:00 pm »
Some female cats do start plannning their place to have their kittens early.  I have watched my female outside cats, and they tend to go in outbuildings and have a look round, as if trying to decide which would be best.  I prefer them to be where I can see them though!!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:48:28 pm »
I had a Siamese cat who decided to give birth on my bed with my OH rubbing her tummy, now he never did that for me when i had our children  ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 08:18:29 am »
 ;D  Sabrina that's made me laugh!!  I have a feeling snowball might give birth on my daughter's bunk bed because she loves sleeping there - I hope not though!
I have started to put a box together of stuff I might need (having seen a 'kittening box for £50 on ebay  :o  that was basically flannels, iodine and scissors lol!)  and am now worrying that she might have contracted more than kittens due to the fact that this rampant Tom could have been with a million other girls. she has had her jabs but I guess I better get her checked by the vet ..fingers crossed x

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 11:52:00 pm »
Try not to worry - I am sure she will be fine.  All my farm cats have had their kittens in the night.  They do like dark corners, cupboards, drawers etc.  So do remember to check before closing drawers, that she has not climbed in to make a nest.  Oh, and the washing basket - thats a good place for a nest.  Don't want her going round in the machine with the washing, do we!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 08:12:34 pm »
well, a week and a half (ish!) to go and today Snowball (who is now known as 'cannonball' due to her belly!) has spent the morning trying to climb up my leg and being very clingy. Earlier she was found under 8 year olds bed (so at least I'll knwo where to look, have a feeling she's eyed it up for her kittens!)
MIL been over to visit with loads of comfy bedding for cat nest box but am pretty sure it will all happen where I least expect, or want, it to! ie. the washing basket or top bunk bed  ;)
will let you know when the big event happens!

Lavinia

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Midlothian
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 10:13:11 pm »
Good luck, hope all goes well. I have 4 cats and adore them.....
Lavinia

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 02:01:51 pm »
well EDD (if I go by the 9 weeks gestation idea) is tuesday coming. so far Snowball is acting normal, still stalking butterflies and chasing goats.
now the race is on to see if she or the lionlop bunny give birth soon!!

I think i better start keeping cat in from now at night esp as she didnt' come in last night and I actually lost sleep worrying  ::)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 11:35:53 pm »
Lillian our white cat (or one of the white ones!) is due any day.  She is enormous.  She waddles off each morning over the fields, and returns as night falls, walking very slowly.  Some nice nights she stays out, but like you, I have now decided to keep her in the caravan where she lives with the others, at least I will know where the kittens are!!  Its not easy keeping her in, and letting the others out after they have been fed though.

Its our Dales pony spring show on Saturday - two years running she has had her kittens on that day, so we will see!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 07:10:13 am »
that would be funny if she did have them same day!! this is snowballs first litter and I got snowball not long after I lost my gorgeous molly to liver cancer. I'd had molly since I was a newly qualified nurse in 1994 and she died 2009. so, Snowball sort of helped fill a gap by having a huge personality too! our other 3 live out mainly but snowball is pampered and sleeps on my bed all night  ::)
oh well, fingers crossed for lots of healthy kittens over the next few days then!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 12:03:13 am »
Lillian had six kittens the first time, and then five, so am expecting a similar number this time.  All white, with black and white striped tail, and black marks on head, same colour every time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS