Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horns  (Read 2480 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Horns
« on: September 29, 2015, 07:02:40 pm »
Some of our rams went to the abattoir today and we asked to retain the horns.  What is the best way to preserve them if they are to be used as handles on walking sticks?  The two methods suggested so far are boil them for 10 minutes or bury them in the ground for 6 months :-\ .  Advice please.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
Re: Horns
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 09:49:01 pm »
Hello lovely Bramblecot....

We took a rammy lamb to the abattoir earlier this month.... they said they could take the horns off for us, and boil them in order to remove the 'inside' and then we could use them as we wished....  However, we were subsequently told that it hadn't been possible to keep the horns... We were told it was always subject to the approval of the vet....

Not very sure about this, but if it had gone to plan it seems that the abattoir are able to undertake the 'process' for you....  Let us know if you're more successful than we were!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 11:15:18 pm »
We put ours up on a roof well away from the house, and leave them for the insects to remove the core.  They do a great job, with no smelly boiling (just a slight whiff of decomp) or forgetting where you buried them - we still have a deer's head somewhere underground.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 10:34:58 am »
I got a set of horns back once, but the vet was "by-passed".  He said strictly speaking they aren't allowed to give them back.  It probably comes under the same category of animal waste as the skins.  Is there a box on the defra form for horns as well as skins?  Maybe you can request permission to get them in the same way.

I rinsed mine and knocked them a bit and the cores came out, but yeah, as FW says, maybe letting the maggots do the work for you is easier if they are long curly horns :).

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 06:03:42 pm »
Thanks all.  I now have 3 lovely sets of Shetland ram horns at home, just need to work out what to do with them :thinking: .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS