Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Kerracher Man  (Read 3541 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
The Kerracher Man
« on: September 29, 2015, 03:38:13 pm »
Just working my way through this one which I shoud have done YEARS ago as I know the family and went to school with one of the girls in the book
Its a nice piece of non-fiction describing how an accountant living in the South decides with his family (wife and 2 young girls) to take on the family croft in a pretty inaccessible spot near Kylesku and the trials and tribulations of taking a near derelict house (no running water, no sewage system, no road, no power, and making it a home for them all.
The youngest girl in the book, Clare came up last week for a holiday and popped down to see me, we hadn't seen each other for 26 years!! Glad to say the croft is still in family hands, albeit through a cousin now I think, but she still calls this place home.
An enjoyable read, not too long or romantic and makes me grateful that while we struggled to get our croft into a manageable state, we never had to worry about making a cup of tea or having a shower!
Rumour is there is a followup book being written ........ :innocent:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: The Kerracher Man
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:34:56 pm »
I read it years ago and really enjoyed it.

The other similar book that I think defines the genre is Isolation Shepherd - well worth a read.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 05:00:14 pm »
I've just started reading Isolation Shepherd. I'm struck by just how much has changed. For example, they used to keep blackie  / cheviot cross wethers until they were about 5 years old, because they were valuable for their wool. Same season lamb? What's that?  :)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 05:13:10 pm »
have read Isolatian Shepherd and am keeping it, but have just finished Night Falls on Ardnamurchan, a wonderful book and if anyone wants a read I will send it to you, please pass it on!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 06:05:45 pm »
Just started the Kerracher Man, as it caught my eye in the library and I couldn't place where I had read the title....  of course on TAS!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 11:55:58 am »
have read Isolatian Shepherd and am keeping it, but have just finished Night Falls on Ardnamurchan, a wonderful book and if anyone wants a read I will send it to you, please pass it on!
I'm part way through Isolation Shepherd! It all sounded very familiar and no wonder when I got the part about my grandparents! Grandad was a Shepherd on Strathmore  :thumbsup:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS