Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: scald  (Read 4921 times)

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
scald
« on: September 29, 2015, 02:49:55 pm »
Please could anyone tell me if I can use a footbath solution to treat scald. Two of my pet sheep need to have their feet sprayed with antibiotic spray every month, but I can't turn Bill, my enormous wether any more.

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
Re: scald
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 03:05:03 pm »
Yes, footbathing is effective when used for treating scald, not for treating footrot though

Have you tried giving alamycin LA injection at the same time as spray?

Every month is an awful lot of scald! they must be very prone to it or your grass is long and rough?

give them an injection next time, should keep it away for longer

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 03:46:23 pm »
Are you sure its scald ... every month is rather often.  Maybe speak to vet?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 03:59:31 pm »
Thank you Keepers, my vet prescribed alamycin injections before but it still didn't last.  Vet and helpful farmers all baffled.  Both sheep (2 of 11) are otherwise very healthy despite being 10 years old and having a really bad start - culling is not an option as this old girl loves her old woollies!  :innocent:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 04:00:25 pm »
When I used Footvax then turned the sheep onto pasture that hadn't been grazed for 3 weeks it got rid of scald too.  Haven't seen any for 8 years.

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 04:04:41 pm »
Thanks Marches Farmer, vet said Footvax does not treat scald - only foot rot, but I think this is the way to go, can't do any harm.  Will speak to vet again.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 04:45:10 pm »
As I understand it, scald damages the integrity of the foot (fusobacterium necrophorum), which permits the establishment of other bacterium including dichelobacter nodosus, which is full blown footrot.  I didn't expect Footvax to have any effect on scald, but it did.  We run a closed flock and haven't had to vaccinate since.  The only thing I'd do differently is vaccinate around now - we did it in early Summer and the vaccine has a very thick oil adjuvant which the shearlings found particularly irritating.  They kept rubbing the vaccination area raw on branches so we had to catch and spray every couple of days for about three weeks, to keep the flies away.  Older sheep were unaffected.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 11:56:43 am »
We have very well worn tracks across our fields, so I think ours use those a lot, we also top, and not one lame ewe.  Spray them with antibiotic spray, let dry, then walk em through foot bath?  I suppose it s a bit like mud rash in horses, the irritation f the skin layers making a welcome home for certain Bacteria. 

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 12:01:09 pm »
Hoof phast by nettex, is a foot bath, we got that in the cupboard just in case.  After bath, let them thoroughly dr.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 08:53:17 am »
Linco Spectrin used in a spray bottle. It's also used for treating poultry against coccidosis

It's expensive to buy, but last a long time.First class results on foot troubles.

Why is it always around tupping your Tups ho lame ?
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 07:23:57 pm »
Thank you for your advice everyone

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 07:39:05 am »
That big wether needn't be turned over to examine/treat his feet. Tie him up on a halter and pick each foot up like you would a horse.

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 02:04:26 pm »
Funny that you should post that Slimjim, that is exactly what I did yesterday with a strong friend's help.  Thank you

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS