Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sell\ kill sheep on on farm  (Read 3692 times)

JTFarms

• Joined Sep 2014
Sell\ kill sheep on on farm
« on: September 29, 2015, 03:53:26 am »
Place a ad to sell some tups\ rams man answer ad said he was like to buy one ask if killing on my farm a problem I told he I had some nosey new neighbors on the hill behind my house you can hear real good up there what s going on on the farm and I did not have a place now setup to process animals at this time he respond ed back and said he could only buy if he could process the animal on my farm he could it in 20-30min I responded back to him I just hsd no place right now now to do a killing I feel as though this might be more about seeing what is on my farm for him than buying and sheep.Anybody had similar happenings to share advice on?  Thanks James
James

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: Sell\ kill sheep on on farm
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 08:09:18 am »
Certainly not a legal request. Only the owner can slaughter in his unapproved premises and then only for consumption by immediate family. Whatever the guy's intentions may or may not be, I'd be looking for a different customer.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 02:46:32 pm »
OH shops in a supermarket and friendly with some asians, as he buys cheap bread+veg he told them we had goats. They kept pestering him to sell them one, (cheap of course) but wanted to slaughter it here and leave all the 'bits', OH told them I'd sold all the ones to go (I hadn't but it stopped them), now he keeps being invited to their houses, I have a feeling they are softening him up for next year ??
Unless you're really desperate to sell I'd avoid this situation.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 03:50:05 pm »
crikey that sounds a bit dodgy

I think I would have said if he wanted it slaughtered I would take it to the abattoir and deliver it to him in a box but I wouldn't be letting anyone slaughter anything on my land!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 03:58:32 pm »
Very dodgy and illegal!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 08:58:48 pm »
Halal?

I get every other Pakistani / Muslim folk taxi driver etc that pulls up in the layby by my fields asking for "cheap meat my friend?" offering £30 for a ewe.... Always say they can come back and kill it tonight......... Always say, "youd be joining the poor girl if you do" and they bugger off, especially if I walk over to them.

Alot of them want either a bargain or, more commonly to slaugther the animal themselves as alot of muslims seem to have this burning desire to make sure the animal is slaughtered without stunning it first.

JTFarms

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 06:55:16 am »
Thanks to all your advice I told them that I had pen in front of place just some stock panels joined together these are out in the open for all passerbys on a state highway  to see this  is where I put my sale animals for customers who want to come and view what I have for sale at this time told them they could tell me when they was to come and take a look and I would have those rams in the pen for them to see and if they purchased them that they could NOT kill and animal in that pen and no one but my farm workers are allowed beyond that on my farm due to our biosecurity policy  and if they buy it it leaves right then ALIVE have not heard anything since not to keen on people telling me how and what they want me to do when I'm the seller and they are the buyer you know  it's like here is what I have for sale  and how it will be done if you don't like it go somewhere else you know. By the way I had $150.00 on one ram  and  75.00 on the other  I've never sold one for less than 70.00 Dollars. James
James

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 04:26:49 pm »
James,  this would be highly questionable in the UK, but I don't know what the rules are for you in the USA, and they may well be different. All of the replies above need to be taken in a UK context, just sayin'  :thumbsup:.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

JTFarms

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 05:32:18 am »
Heck womble I've been here all of my life and I'm  not sure of what the rules are either just don't like these kind of people answering my ads use to be the Mexican crowd but the govner ran most of them off  now the middle East crowd is all that left around here it seems . James
James

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS