Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed back...  (Read 4715 times)

Tamsjute

• Joined Jun 2015
Feed back...
« on: September 28, 2015, 05:50:37 pm »
I took my New Forest mare and foal along to this as part of the native pony display, I must admit I was a little nervous about loading the ponies, although we had been practising beforehand. They loaded as easily as anything as soon as it was light enough for me to get out there!

The pens were just the right size for them both to move around in and for Cuckoo, the foal, to have a little play - they both had many admirers throughout the day and I and my husband spoke to many people about the ponies and their management on the Forest, what they can be used for and so on. A lot of people were surprised at how versatile they are and many thought it was a bit of a myth that there is a place where ponies wander down the street and do as they please!

I'd definitely be interested in coming back with the ponies next year- or even to any similar events, although sadly we are not expecting any cute fluffy foals next year - mainly due to the lack of stallions up here.

Perhaps next year we could do a small parade around one of the sales rings, maybe with someone describing each breed standard with a few facts as it is walked around the ring? Just an idea - I'd be happy to show off one of my ponies  ;)

All in all a great day was had by all who came with me - hubby, mother in law, toddler and teenager (2 ducks and 2 ponies).

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
Re: Feed back...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 06:59:51 am »
your mare and foal were just gorgeous, and very relaxed about being there, as were all the horses. it was so nice to see them and thanks to everyone who made the effort to take them.

one of the previous shows made an effort to have each horse do a display with commentary about the breed but it was difficult to get the 'public' out to see them so it didn't really work at all.
I liked that the horses were grouped together and you could talk to the owners there if interested.

smhowie

• Joined May 2014
  • irvine, ayrshire, scotland
Re: Feed back...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 07:09:39 am »
have to agree with claire though it was difficult, I feel this might have been due to a lack of P.A. system in the past that the public did not know when the horses were being displayed out side. Still had a great time and enjoyed meeting all the horses and ponies and all the other animals. in between chasing 2year old grandson. He really did enjoy the festival and wanted to bring home a pony.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS