Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: copper vs ronaldsays  (Read 1854 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
copper vs ronaldsays
« on: September 27, 2015, 09:14:15 pm »
How do I check the copper levels on my ground?
We are considering ronaldsays sheep but concerned over copper poisoning, especially as we have had pigs then goats on the field intended to be used for sheep. Goats are fed beef stock nuts so I presume poop, and therefore ground will be rich in iron??

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: copper vs ronaldsays
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 09:47:08 pm »
I don't think you would be high in copper or iron.  Most soils generally have a deficiency in them or have the correct levels of the elements.
A broad spectrum soil analysis would shed some light on the matter or indeed a tissue analysis of the grass would tell you too.
I could help you out with them if you were interested? (depending on where abouts you are).
Give me a pm if you want more info.

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 10:07:59 pm »
A friend keeps a group of about 20 Ronnies on land which has had pigs on it in the recent past and not had problems though is very careful to keep them away from the pigs and their food (doesn't stop one or two nicking the odd bit by jumping several fences though) as this would obviously be a short cut to disaster! I'm sure an analysis would put your mind at rest, though.

Our sheep (two are Ronnies) follow our goats in the paddock rotation and again no probs, being careful to keep the right mineral lick with the right animals of course  :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 11:13:14 am »
OUr farm used to be a small scale commercial operation where the pigs wer kept in concrete sties and pens but the much spread on the field via a slurry spray system.  The FWAG employee who came to look at the farm said the consequent copper levels in the soil would remain high for several years. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS