Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Watering Goats  (Read 2116 times)

kreativekim

• Joined Jul 2015
Watering Goats
« on: September 25, 2015, 10:38:02 am »
I understand goats need clean fresh water at all times, which I supply, but they insist on drinking the duck pond water, which is cleaned and refilled every day, Could this be harmful to them!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Watering Goats
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 11:40:27 pm »
I suppose that in the wild they would share their drinking water with other livestock and you say it's replaced daily so it should be relatively clean. My dogs always prefer to drink from muddy puddles to nice clean water so maybe it adds to the flavour.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 10:18:50 am »
mine are just as bad, there are water troughs hanging on rails all over our place and a big water trough for the ducks/chickens which I also change every day but yes they still like to have a drink out of that one too
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 07:55:09 pm »
We've a dog won't drink tap water... but will drink filtered tap water... he much prefers the outdoors tap which comes from the well rather than the mains.  The livestock are all on the well water... I do wonder what they know that I don't and whether I should switch the house back from mains...?

Mains has Fluoride added I think and might be treated with Chlorine?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 02:03:56 am »
We are on spring water, the house water comes through a filter system. dogs and goats prefer the spring water from the stone trough, they'll turn away from a 'house' bucket, 5 mins later will drink from same bucket with trough water in. but given the choice goats will drink from the tub the geese use, so usually got feathers/down etc floating. saw a goose managing to sit in it one day.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS