Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Valoise Blacknose  (Read 8749 times)

Victorian Farmer

Re: Valoise Blacknose
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 03:54:33 pm »
As you no we have them in the highlands .Its the next big thing there is 4 breeders in the uk .A group can make £20000 and worth breeding .York sale will have them for sale .There is some nice rams about .I dont think the price will drop for a fuew years as very difecult to get .

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 08:46:57 pm »
Some for sale in preloved starting at £500 for wethers

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 10:17:55 pm »

First response: What the ?!!!?

Then,

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 10:23:31 pm »

First response: What the ?!!!?

Then,

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

My first thought was "wtf can you do with a wether?!" since I doubt they make good eating!!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 11:09:21 pm »
It keeps the rarity of the males intact though, doesn't it, even if the tups themselves aren't?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 09:43:22 am »
If there's a good 2kgs fleece on a wether, you can sell 20 x 100g packs at, say, £6 a pack?  At the moment you would get those prices because of the rarity value, and spinners do like to try a new fluff.  But you won't be able to do that year on year.

No reason it wouldn't be good eating.  They're large sheep and supposed to be well-fleshed - but that's a lot of money for a butcher's lamb.

So it's the novelty value and something nice to look at and pleasant to be around for the lawnmower.  Given what people spend on entertainment for kids' parties, £1000 for a pair of wethers that all your kid's friends will want to come and see (and most of yours too!) is ... still ludicrous.   :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 04:24:13 pm »
£500 for wethers!  ....  they are laughing all the way to the bank (I wonder if they are experienced ringers?  A rig would be worth it  :innocent:)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 04:42:21 pm »
You dont do anything with the wether....your missing the point. They will sell to someone who wants lovely animals around them as "pets"

People buy what they like and pay for it, micro pigs, designer dogs, albino african hedgehogs ( preloved is full of them)

The coloured Ryelands that I keep are probably only there at all because some breeder reallised that a number of hobby or pet keepers thought that they were more "teddybearish" than the plain old white ones and would pay more for them.

It would be interesting to see what they go for at York and if they are any good.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2015, 09:43:54 am »
Reminds me of the mangalitza craze a few years ago.
Was interested to see on The Yorkshire Vet that he was called to a Mangalitza sow that was extremely defensive (although I'd be inclined to leave her alone after farrowing much more than the owner had) and had just three piglets.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 06:36:02 pm »
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS