Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tapeworms  (Read 6787 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Tapeworms
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 02:04:10 pm »
Yes, that's true, it is a different tapeworm in dogs ... but my thinking is that if you have one you might have the other :) .

Why?
No scientific reason at all :).  I live in Wales, we have the hydatid type around here as well as expansa.

simon.fern

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 09:01:54 pm »
Thanks for all of your responses. No dirty bums and the wormer was a brand new product,  startec. I'll reworm in a week or so with white and see how she gets along. Sheep on the fields for about 2 years and cows before that. I re-seeded one of them in Feb/March.  I guess I just need to chill a little :-)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 09:15:13 pm »
Not sure I follow; why white drench after Start tec at this time of year? When there are no dirty bums? Does the product even cover tapeworm?

simon.fern

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 09:02:46 am »
Hi Me, sorry I haven't startec'd them. The vet advised me on that brand. As there's only one with the visible tape segments I was going to drench her again with white, see how that goes and then try with the startec. Hope that makes sense :-)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2015, 09:48:45 am »
Oh, ok, thanks. To get maximum benefit out of your drenching for now and the future do a FEC, ask if you need to drench at all (white would often be inappropriate/ineffective in many places at this time of year), if you simply feel you have to worm them as you have seen tape and can't live with not worming then check that the drench you use has a claim against Tapeworm at all and then do a post-drench FEC to gauge resistance or lack thereof to what ever you used. 

It may be that they don't need worming at all, or who knows the white drench may clear everything out and you don't need the Startec. If your vet doesn't do FECs send it away, it will be a very beneficial informative process.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2015, 09:53:48 am »
StartTecT does not list Monezia at all, nor mention tapeworm.

If your vet thinks that will solve your problem, change your vet.

And any vet recommending that someone with 15 sheep, no clinically significant worms, who gets negative FECs and worms anyway, then uses one of the new drenches that hits worms resistant to other drenches, wants reporting and probably striking off.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2015, 10:07:24 am »
I think they should be publicly flogged with a cat'o nine tails made out of tapeworms.

(#vetshavefeelingstoo) 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 12:11:25 am »
I think they should be publicly flogged with a cat'o nine tails made out of tapeworms.

(#vetshavefeelingstoo)

You aren't his vet, are you, Me?   :eyelashes:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 08:26:10 am »
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015, 09:43:42 pm »
Please ask another vet about using startect, he s suggested group five wormer for tape worm?

E gads, please don't, the integrity and efficacy  of the groups is so so important to preserve and the vet suggesting this would worry me. 

Sorry don't mean to offend just a little worried for you to be honest.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 09:47:12 pm »
Perhaps he's on commission  :thinking:    Really naughty of him  :tired:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS