Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Agri-Environment Climate Scheme (Scotland)  (Read 2046 times)

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Agri-Environment Climate Scheme (Scotland)
« on: September 23, 2015, 09:06:58 am »
Although I have submitted a SAF this year for the first time I have not had a chance to have a good dig through the ruralpayments.org site to see what all the schemes are.

Did everyone know that there is a small unit options subsection and a scheme "Cattle Management on Small Units (introduction/Retention)"?

Support will be given to people with under 30ha to keep between 2 and 10 native breed cattle, including slightly increased support if you have to go out and buy your first cows!

Has anyone applied for it?  Can I apply at any time or does it have to be done on the SAF (the guidance only says they check on the SAF that you have the relevant land to keep them on)?

pointer

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Hebrides
Re: Agri-Environment Climate Scheme (Scotland)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 09:34:23 am »
The first application window for AECS was between April and june this year, these applications are I think still being processed. I think there is another window in the new year, although perhaps applications for that can go in now?
Be aware that it is a competitive scheme - just because you are eligible for the options you mentioned doesn't mean you'll be accepted. The applications are all scored against particular criteria, and you'd probably need to apply for more than just these two options to have any chance of a high enough score to be accepted. It is worth trying to get your head round all the application information, complex though this is, or else use an agent.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 09:56:26 am »
I haven't seen that.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 04:35:40 pm »
That explains why they say it works best with certain other options - giving hints as to how to be more competitive.
The supporting options seem sensible, good for the environment and promoting small scale agriculture - not too much would need to change from what I have done this year to meet a few of those options.

I planted a few thousand trees 2 years ago under a competitive SRDP scheme.  I think that application cost about 100 hours of my life, surely this can't be as difficult...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS