Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can a chicken live in an upturned bucket for 3 days without food and water?  (Read 4347 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
The answer surprisingly is yes it can  :thumbsup:  but please dont try this at home.

One of my young cockerels went missing a few days ago and suspected the Buzzard was to blame. But when I turned over an empty water bucket yesterday, a weak, hungry and dehydrated little chap appeared. Im not sure who was the most startled but after syringing him with liquids and critical care formula I put him in a coop of his own with corn and turkey crumb along with every chickens favorite tipple...puddle water :D

He is out ranging with everyone today and seems to be recovering from his ordeal. :relief:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Can a chicken live in an upturned bucket for 3 days without food and water?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 02:34:01 pm »
I would say it's entirely possible given that a broody hen will stay on a nest for several days sometimes.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 02:39:45 pm »
Aw, bless him  :)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 03:00:28 pm »
I would have said not, but thankfully I would have been wrong. Danger now is that he possibly won't be able to digest his food because perhaps the gut flora will have died, as will any worms he had? The danger here is if it turns cold. To be on the safe side I would give him Avipro Avian (probiotic with prebiotics) to restart his digestive flora. Takes about a week to become effective so in the meantime I'd make sure he stays warm.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 03:10:43 pm »
Oh bless.

On a couple of occasions I've found a hen stuck underneath the washing basket. Guess they fly on the side to perch and it flips over and traps them. ::)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 03:45:07 pm »
Thanks Chris thats a good idea as his poohs are pretty liquid and mustard coloured ( appols to anyone one who has just had their tea )

He is clearly not 100 % but the gut flora is an important point. They finished their course of wormer about 10 days ago so any worm burden should be minimal but still, its bound to make him feel rough. Can I give him anything from the cupboard to kick start him until I can get the proper stuff?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 04:44:53 pm »
Multi-culture probiotic natural yoghurt Buffy. About 5-10mL in a syringe. Not as consistently good as AA but does still work as we used to use that and still do on occasions, because they like the taste of it.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 06:55:33 pm »
 Just a note of caution here. While a small amount of yoghurt is helpful in supplying beneficial gut bacteria, too much or too frequent yoghurt will cause digestive upset as birds do not possess the necessary enzymes to digest dairy products.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 08:35:31 pm »
Ooow thanks LLR,

thats useful to know.  :wave:

I think he must have done as in the hills birds do when the bucket was empty. He has eaten about average today though he did show an unhealthy interest in Amy's new chick this morning. Both Amy and I stood watching him eyeing it up as though he was thinking of taking a peck out of it.

Amy got him sorted though. She's a good broody :) [size=78%] [/size]

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 01:14:05 pm »
We had this a couple years back. Young flock being raised in the garden free range when one of the cockerels vanished. We assumed it must have been a buzzard or similar as we had seen him a few minutes before. 3 days later one of the boys uprighted an overturned toy trailer and there he was. He's still with us, called Nermal and doing fine although he does wander around talking to himself a lot. We always make sure to check anything upside-down now.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 04:23:40 pm »
I lost a young bird once. Spent ages going about with a torch trying to find it. he was up a tree. Also found one laying in the cats bed. They do get themselves into some strange places. Good to hear your bird is OK.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 07:12:44 pm »
He seems to be doing fine and each time he sees me he stops and looks up at me. Perhaps anticipating being shoved into my coat and force fed critical care formula.

The strange thing was each time I used the hose near the said bucket I did notice that it was upturned and I hadn't done that. There were no livestock in the field either to knock it over but I suppose the effort of going though the gate and along the fence to right it seemed  unnecessary as it wasn't doing any harm.

I guess the darkness would have made him quiet and subdued so he diddnt twitter. There cant have been much air in their though. Still he has survived much to the disgust or my resident cock......oh dear :eyelashes:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS