Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: does anyone keep a single sow?  (Read 6125 times)

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
does anyone keep a single sow?
« on: September 21, 2015, 06:13:54 pm »
Hi.

Today we took our 4th anual lot of pigs to be slaughtered . Get home and am missing having them on the farm already.

Would love to have a full time breeding sow, but am a little concerned how she would fare when not in the company of the boar or her offspring. 

Does anyone have just one sow that they breed from a couple of times a year ?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: does anyone keep a single sow?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 06:57:08 am »
I don't breed from her anymore but my old Kune sow lost her sister to a heart attack earlier this year. I was concerned that she would be lonely on her own and was looking for a companion for her. in fact, she seems more settled on her own, doesn't go roving as she used to and is seemingly very contented.
I dare say some pigs, like some people thrive on company and some prefer their own!

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 08:25:53 am »
I think having a companion for herd animals like horses and sheep is important as they get security from the herd or flock but although it may not be ideal from an "exhibiting natural behaviors point of view" (she has no one to talk pig to) I dont think it's essential in the case of your pig if she is settled and content.

In days gone by people would keep a solitary house cow and many people who breed a small number of sheep keep a ram in solitary for most of the year.

I think the most important thing with solitary animals is stimulation and interaction for the periods when they are on their own. She sounds very settled and may indeed be enjoying a bit of "me time" Introducing a companion is great but dosent always work out if they dont get on and isn't always practical.

Sounds like she is content enough for the time being until the next visit from the boar. 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 08:31:37 am »
I think stock that naturally lives in a group, whether herd or flock, should be kept with at least one other of their kind.  Even people that like to be on their own get to interact with the shopkeeper, the church congregation, the postman .....  We split off our sows three weeks prior to farrowing but they can still see, hear and smell other pigs.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 09:21:53 am »
It's actually illegal under schedule 8 of the welfare of farmed animal regulations to keep a pigs such that it cannot see other pigs, except —

(I) where the pig is isolated for veterinary reasons; or
(ii) in the week before the expected farrowing time and during farrowing, when sows and gilts may be kept out of sight of other pigs;

for the purposes of this regulation a pig means 'an animal of the porcine species of any age, kept for breeding or fattening;'

Pet pigs are technically exempt from this regulation, but pigs really only bond to their own kind, and it is not good to keep pigs on their own.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 09:55:19 am »
I have known several breeding sows that have been kept on their own, illegal or not, who seem to suffer no problems being kept as such. I have had problems myself trying to put two sows back together after weaning, who had lived together before farrowing, fighting so badly they never lived together again.

The single sows I have known lived outside so plenty of stimulation.

Obviously she would be with the boar for at least 3 weeks twice a year. She will have piglets for eight weeks twice a year. If you are going to keep some for finishing that will give her company for a good deal of the time.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 09:47:18 am »
Thanks for your replies.

Of course this means i need 2 sows !! Lol.

Might struggle to sell all those offspring!

I do also find the legislation slightly laughable that you have to maintain a line of site connection between loan pigs. Some what impractical. 

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 10:06:55 am »
Is it feasible that she gets bred twice a year and the finished pigs leaving just b4 farrowing her next litter??? That way she would have company just not adult company.
I want to get pigs again but would prefer 1  or 2 litters a yr from 1 pig, that  feeding 2 sows.
Watching with interest.

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 11:06:24 am »
You could always get a wee castrated kunekune to keep her company - one bag of feed would keep him going for around 6 weeks  ;) He'd keep her company, be an adoptive uncle for the piglets when weaned and generally be a bit of a pet without costing a fortune or doing much damage to land/housing  :innocent:

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 03:21:05 pm »
We got a piglet this year who is now 4 months old. We call her "Mirtha (future) mother of bacon", she lives very happily in a large fenced off area near the chickens. She gets daily scratches and attention from us and the dogs. I personally have never seen a happier pig! She will have two litters a year and we will keep one of her daughters back for breeding if all goes well with the first litter. We wanted a really tame sow so its easy to transport her to the boar etc. She is a true delight, very intelligent and affectionate. I see nothing wrong with this set up at all.

Here she is with my brother, patiently letting him measure her tail for reasons only known to him haha https://scontent-gru1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/12039625_10100218495707517_7221213713578575236_n.jpg?oh=9bfa96f37167d7f0a81fcbbabfb9768d&oe=569A057E

Her father was a hampshire and her mother a landrace x duroc... I think she is rather beautiful!

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 03:23:17 pm »
I should also point out that she gets a daily visit from the hens when we let them out, she is totally fine with them even when they steal her food! Thought I would add this as I am sure I read a post about someone worried about mixing pigs and hens!

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 03:58:16 pm »
Happy Hippy.... Like your thinking.

Thanks

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 06:23:38 pm »
We got a piglet this year who is now 4 months old. We call her "Mirtha (future) mother of bacon", she lives very happily in a large fenced off area near the chickens. She gets daily scratches and attention from us and the dogs. I personally have never seen a happier pig! She will have two litters a year and we will keep one of her daughters back for breeding if all goes well with the first litter. We wanted a really tame sow so its easy to transport her to the boar etc. She is a true delight, very intelligent and affectionate. I see nothing wrong with this set up at all.

Here she is with my brother, patiently letting him measure her tail for reasons only known to him haha https://scontent-gru1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/12039625_10100218495707517_7221213713578575236_n.jpg?oh=9bfa96f37167d7f0a81fcbbabfb9768d&oe=569A057E

Her father was a hampshire and her mother a landrace x duroc... I think she is rather beautiful!

Despite what you say I would never sell just one weaner to someone. At that age I think they do need another weaner. There are plenty of "tame" pigs out there who load etc. I would also add that I often find "show" pigs that have had a lot of handling don't necessarily make the best mums. They can sort of expect you do everything for them.

In an outside area with plenty of room to get out of the way and over the fence chickens and pigs will mix. The other post was about combined housing.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 07:44:22 pm »
I refuse to sell a weaner on its own.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 07:52:21 pm »
Definitely interesting to hear different points of views, we all have our own ways of doing things! This is a great site to get ideas from and then decide whats best for your set up. In this part of the world its quite common to have just one breeding sow. The weather allows for year round free ranging so she will eventually be able to make her "nest" and farrow outside. Seems to work well for my neighbours so unless I get very unlucky I am hopeful it will work for us too! I am considering a Pietrain boar or a spotted polish as with the hot weather here I am not keen on the white pigs!

Agree about the chickens, definitely would not house together! Free range it works wonderfully well though  :pig: :chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS