Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Butchery costs - quick question  (Read 4228 times)

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
Butchery costs - quick question
« on: September 21, 2015, 02:43:32 pm »
I have no pigs as yet as still doing my sums.  Am hoping to keep GOS x Durocs and slaughter at around 6 months.

I have an interested butcher who has quoted me 80p per kg to cut and package into taster boxes for direct sale to customers.  What do other people pay?  And is that 80p per kg deadweight or according to the butchered meat returned?

Thanks,
Lynn :-)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Butchery costs - quick question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 08:36:39 am »
Im guesstimating a 100kg dead weight pig for the sake of round numbers and assuming that is what the butcher is basing the price on.

So if that includes the slaughter fee then it's kill and cut up for £80. A standard K and C for me would be £40 and £50 if it was manufactured ( made into sausage)

That wouldnt include any fancy packing trays, vacpacs etc so perhaps thats where the extra costs come in. Are you using a high street butcher? how much does your abattoir charge by comparison? Do you need that level of packaging? 

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 09:41:16 am »
Depending on the amount of work included on the cutting list for the abattoir I have been charged anywhere between £55 and £90 per pig for the kill/cut. The higher figure included some sausages and some specific cut requirements with vacuum packing but no fancy trays etc.

In general I think I've averaged about 60-65kg pork from a live weight of around 95-100kg for my Tamworths but then I'm still fairly new at this so I hope there's room for improvement

By my calculations that 80p/kg figure seems to quite a fair price if done well but what do I know!  ;D

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 10:03:53 am »
£40 kill and cut here, up to 100kg.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 10:05:59 am »
between abbatoir and butcher it is about £50 K/C with vac packing i think. sausages extra

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 10:39:36 am »
Whereabouts do you live, Lynn?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 06:44:45 pm »
our local butchers varied from £30-£75 pig. the cheaper one would only cut and the more expensive would make bacon out of the loins. both made sausages. the cheaper one was very upset at the thought of us selling the meat on to customers, whilst the other didn't care.
we are Peterhead.
is it grantown-on-spey abattoir you are using? I think you are in my area?

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 10:08:57 pm »
I pay 95p per kilo for pork butchery - cut, packed, labelled and blast frozen. Sausages are £1.80 per kilo.
Costs are usually based on carcass/killing weight. Your average pork pig will weigh around 85kg, dead weight will be 50-55kg and actual meat (once trimmed and packed, excluding sausages) will be around 40kg give or take.
HTH
Karen

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 09:34:25 am »
From memory last year we were £40 to kill then 80p/kg to cut (charged on deadweight not final meat weight).
Pigs were about 90kg live, about 60kg dead so the butchery cost was about £48, actual meat back was 40-45kg.
So the total cost was about £88 to kill and cut per pig.
Sausages were extra (can't remember how much) and it was just stuffed in plastic bags so no special packaging but it meant that, all in, we were close to £100 to kill and butcher.

Those people who have quoted £40 or £50 to kill and cut should be very very grateful that they get it so cheap!

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 02:16:04 pm »
Just about to move to Stirlingshire, near Aberfoyle.  Can't believe how much more expensive it will be - £28 per pig at the abattoir, and then £64 for standardbutchery (based on 80kg deadweight). That sounds like a fortune!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 02:30:08 pm »
Just about to move to Stirlingshire, near Aberfoyle.  Can't believe how much more expensive it will be - £28 per pig at the abattoir, and then £64 for standardbutchery (based on 80kg deadweight). That sounds like a fortune!
try slaughtering cattle, makes pig slaughter seem a bargain. lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS