Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making apple juice  (Read 2821 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Making apple juice
« on: September 20, 2015, 05:05:10 pm »
We have a few very productive trees and I want to make some good apple juice.  In the past I have tried using a small press but the juice was very brown and 'bitty'.  I am looking at the Vigo hydropress as that seems to be easy to use.  Could anyone tell me how you stop the juice going brown between pressing and pasteurising and also how you prevent there being a lot of sediment.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Making apple juice
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 05:14:25 pm »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Making apple juice
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 10:19:04 pm »
We press the apples through net curtains which are really good at sieving out "bits".

to prevent the juice going brown add half a teaspoon of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to each bottle then pour the juice in up to the top before pasteurising. We pasteurise ours in a water bath. Then cork it with the juice overflowing. That way, once the liquid cools and contracts it creates a vacuum and there are no little mould spores..... But even a little bit of mould on the top doesn't alter the taste. If ours have got mould then I just pour it through a tea strainer. Tastes fine and lasts for over a year.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS