Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: milking stand  (Read 4511 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
milking stand
« on: March 25, 2010, 08:57:12 pm »
i know we are not yet ready for one but i cant resist the temptation
to crack on and make meself a milking stand.
had a look at some online to get a basic structure frame and it seems quite forward with
right tools, wood and forward planning.
i would be more pleased and again feel more connected with my goats.
langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: milking stand
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:44:37 pm »
And I bet your milking stand will be a lot better, and probably much cheaper to make that the bought in one!!

I have never had a milking stand, although one would be useful with the smaller goats I have had to milk.  Just fortunate I am small, so no harm done!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:48:36 pm »
We have a milking stand, have done for years, and I do think it is a good idea. We never had a bought one, always something home made. I do get "milking bench envy" though of Nancy Buglass (Anke knows her as well). She has a lovely hand made folding bench, made by her husband Martin, which she can take to shows with her.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 11:03:44 pm »
Thats handy, one that folds up!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 09:39:46 pm »
My OH built me a milking stand, customised to the shed, it won't travel -it has different sized legs front and back (so it sits up on the foundations on one side to use all the available space!) But we used ideas from the web, not sure what we would do without www nowadays....

I have just started using it, my GG only had a single so i have to ease her other side and she is too small for me to do it in the pen... Only problem is that GG goes mad if she can't see her kid, so now have kid wandering in front of her and she is a wee bit calmer.

How long does it take to milk out a goat?! So far even just easing out 150mls takes a wee while, I haven't timed it yet, but what about 1 - 2 ltrs????? I hope that it will become routine sometime soon, its great fun!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:46:32 pm »
As both you and the goat get more used to milking it will get quicker. You'll be able to milk her out in less than 10 mins eventually. When they first kid, their udder isn't as used to the being stretched when full, and then shrinking once you have milked her out. After she has been kidded for a while it gets better. Keep an eye on her udder, as with one kid he could make her lopsided. Sometimes first kidders get sores on their udder due the newness of the skin stretching and shrinking, so keep an udder cream, E45 or an aloe vera cream handy which can help sooth the udder.

Beth

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 09:46:55 pm »
P.S- Pictures please!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 09:55:29 pm »
a artist never reveals his master piece till its finished, thats when i shall pull back
the cloth to reveal all ;)
p.s. starting on it next weel hopefully :goat:
i have put some pics up on ' other ' forum ;D :goat:
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 09:57:11 pm »
I was actually looking for pictures of Anke's new baby! But I will go have a look at yours too.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 10:21:19 pm »
Will try and get some pictures taken before he goes to the vet on Monday. But my shed is brown, straw is brown and goat kid is brown - GG's are not easily photographed inside! But will try, am charging the camera batteries overnight, they are always empty when i need them... typical.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 11:05:58 pm »
lol
Langdon ;)

chickenfeed

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:35:54 pm »
 :goat:mum milked 16 goats without a stand then a few years ago dad made a fold down one to take to shows so she uses one all the time now so much easier.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS