Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Virgin pig keeper  (Read 4414 times)

firstpony1963

• Joined Mar 2010
Virgin pig keeper
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:31:02 pm »
About to collect a couple of saddleback weaners for home consumption eventually. Should I go for a pair of females or males - is there any difference in temperament?

HappyHippy

Re: Virgin pig keeper
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:39:32 pm »
Hello and welcome  :wave:
Not got huge amounts of experience but boys are usually more boisterous  ;) if you're only raising them to pork size they're unlikely to cause you any problems though. And with boys you know you HAVE to send them for slaughter cos they'll never produce any piglets (something I always feel guilty about with gilts)
Good luck and welcome to the addictive world of pig keeping  ;D

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:43:57 pm »
I have had both and I did not find much difference in temerament, They all loved their bellies scratched and ears. They all respond well to handling. I did find that the boars were ready for slaughter quicker and were slightly less fatty, but that could be down to slightly different feeding. Good luck whichever you decide to get you will love them.
Anne

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:47:07 pm »
We had pigs for the first time last year and got boys so that we would be forced to send them to slaughter and not be able to keep them as pets.  This year we have gilts as I found the boys were more fiesty with me than my OH and also one tried to hump me and 60kg of pigs on your back is funny after the event but not at the time!!

Good luck!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 08:05:51 pm »
hi we are new to pig keeping too and as said it is addictive!!!!!!!!!
we have three british saddlebacks, great pigs too, we have all males, they are a little cheeky but thats the fun of it,
one is ready  to go to slaughter next month for pork mmmmmmmmmm   :P
so far one has only got out three times so far in the last six months, i was a little late with food according to him ;D
we dont have mains where our pigs are so we have used electric strips which have even surprised me i was doubtfull
but as said one pig out only three times, not bad going.
i work for our freing who is a pig breeder (saddlebacks) and sells the meat in his own shop on his own farm, he told me there is no reall
difference when it comes to choosen sex, but just for the sake of it and seeing for meself we will choose females next probualy.
anyhow you are going to have a great experience overall. do you have young kids? our two love them and totally understand that they are going to
be eaten them at some point. another great experience in keeping pigs for the table, being able to educate kids about food.
p.s. keep in touch new pig freind ;) :pig: langdon
Langdon ;)

MR C CHICKS

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 08:31:58 pm »

Good luck with your new pigs . We to are new to pig keeping and are still learning . We have 6 gos boars and have had no problems to date .  Just good fun with the kids .Just need to sort out the food as this can be expensive if your buying the wrong stuffand from the wrong supplier.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 07:43:48 am »
Start with males and send them off around 6-7 months. 

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 08:24:18 am »
Good luck. We started 2 months ago and it's addictive. I must say we got gilts but we intend to breed and these have become pets so if you're sure you want to eat them get boars else you may well get too attached first time around.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 08:55:58 am »
I've never found boys to be more boisterous! I always recommend having 2 boys to start with so you dont get tempted to lose sight of the 'end'! They grow quicker and a bit bigger so good if just for the freezer, good luck and welcome to the mad world of pigs, they are addictive :wave:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 09:19:59 am »
Welcome to the wonderful world of pigs  :pig: :love: :pig:

I agree with starting with a couple of boys. 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 02:39:49 pm »
Hi, I'm still virgin to keeping any livestock yet and was wondering how much space you would need to keep a couple of pigs and do they need to go indoors through bad weather?

Sorry to hijack the post ;).

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 05:17:18 pm »
Hi chriso
I always take my breeding sows in the big barn when its really cold or super wet, you dont have to its just my personnel choice one slip on hard frosty ground and it could finish with a break their worth too much to me sentimentally and of course money wise.
if im finnishing pigs and its really cold if I feel theyre using up all their energy on keeping warm theyre not putting on weight so in they come to the piggery. I like to keep them outside as much as I can but sometimes they will do better inside in severe conditions, and as its not for long periods of time im happy as i prefer them outside free ranging.
Hope that is of help.
Gary

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 07:08:41 pm »
Mine ideally would stay out all year, but as we have essex clay if the ground gets too waterlogged then they come into the barn for a few weeks in the winter.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 07:48:47 pm »
Mine live out all year round.  I do try to avoid Nov. - Feb births where possible.  Its really a matter of what suits you and what your facilities allow.  As for space as much as you can give them. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS