Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pork or bacon?  (Read 2319 times)

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
Pork or bacon?
« on: September 15, 2015, 02:56:04 pm »
I know that pigs are meant to be reared to a heavier weight for bacon than for pork, but when it's just for ourselves and friends/family, is there any reason why we can't use a 'pork weight' piggie for bacon and gammon? Won't it just mean smaller joints? Our two will be going for slaughter at the same time, and I'd really like to have some bacon and a couple of gammon joints as well as pork and sausages.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Pork or bacon?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 02:59:45 pm »
No reason at all. Make sure you tell the butcher exactly what you want to do with your pigs so you don't find your gammon joint has been scored for roasting. We use laycocks dry cure and do our own curing.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 07:01:01 pm »
Will be fine. That is what I did last year.  Now on my last slab of bacon. It is more about economics

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:50:23 pm »
We did ours this way. We went half way between what is recommended for each (apparently called cutter weight) and had fabulous pork and bacon, ham and gammon.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 09:55:45 pm »
Taking to 'bacon weight' is about getting a large tail on your bacon as the muscle by the ribs gets thicker and has more depth as they age.

Absolutely no reason why you shouldn't take a pig at any age off for bacon -  if you go very small, you'll end up with medallions of bacon with no tail, but they'll still taste great !!!

More likely you'll still get a great looking and tasting rasher, as the posts above show.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS