Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oiling Wooden Worktops  (Read 3705 times)

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
Oiling Wooden Worktops
« on: March 23, 2010, 06:29:24 pm »
Can I pick your brains please  :wave:

Does anyone have wooden worktops, if so what do you use to oil them? I'm trying to find a suitable oil/finishing treatment for my new oak ones I've tried (on an off cut) Ronseal antibacterial oil and Rustins water/plant oil based ones so far, the oil based one doesn't seem to dry very well and the other raises the grain terribly, so I'm still looking and OH is getting slightly irritated as he wants to get on with the fitting lol

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Oiling Wooden Worktops
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 06:54:39 pm »
We use junckers oil, have tried others but none are as good or as hard wearing!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 07:57:35 pm »
We use Danish oil.  Brush on thinnly and then wipe off excess.  Loads of thin layers is best.  The only downside to it is that it does tend to make the wood shine if you put on loads of layers.  Never heard of Junckers, but would like to know more about it.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 10:34:50 pm »
We got stuff from IKEA, where we bought the worktops. Haven't used it all that often, I confess. Probably not often enough :(

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 08:09:42 am »
Hello Daisy In the past at Low Farm I made the work tops from recycled teak and treated them with Tung Oil It is an oil extracted from a Chinese Tung Tree  Not as easy to apply as Danish Oil or boiled Linseed but lasts much longer.I went down dock and asked a couple of ships carpenters what they did the trawlers galleys with and they both used Tung Oil Instructions as Sand to your satisfaction Rip up an old tee shirt (they are lint free) and rub in the oil in the direction of the grain pay particular attention to the end grains get as much rubbed in as you can. Allow to dry then do it all again,and again until it stops taking the oil If you have the work top over a Belfast sink  over the hole do the end grains at least once a month.After a year 18 months the look beautiful.Original preparation is the all important part of the job.That is the way the lads from British United Trawlers told me to do it and it worked grand for me :wave: :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:56:18 pm »
Thanks everyone a few more options there, we're going to get some Tung oil to try might just use the Ronseal then use Danish oil over the top (I've been told I can do this ) will keep you updated - hopefully with no disasters

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 07:28:19 am »
If you Ronseal it Daisy Its awful hard work getting it off to apply something else. Ronseal wont last very long on the draining board.Apply it to your shed,and not your lovely teak draining board ??? :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 06:18:40 pm »
Wizard it is Ronseal worktop oil, not varnish, I've read that you can Danish oil over worktop oil have tried it on an offcut and so far it seems ok - I've got a stainless steel sink and drainer don't think I could cope with a wooden drainer. Thanks for the advice   ;D  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS