Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what is helen doing wrong  (Read 5420 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
what is helen doing wrong
« on: September 13, 2015, 10:43:21 am »
my dear wife has made some redcurrant jelly that never set and turned into a beautiful syrup…not moaning at all..it tasted wonderful with most things…now she has made elderberry and apple jelly..once again it has not set…she is following all the instructions to the word, weight and second….

once again, i'm not moaning as it will be lovely poured on meals…but she is miffed my the not setting

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: what is helen doing wrong
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 11:22:16 am »
Can't help i'm afraid - I have the same problem  :innocent: - either that or I leave it too long and it's like toffee.   :roflanim:  Mine is better since I started using a jam thermometer. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 11:25:58 am »
With all preserve making it is about the setting point. Timing to a certain extent is less important than testing for setting. The way to test is to put a saucer in the fridge, when you have reached the correct temperature, take the pan off the heat, put a teaspoon full of syrup on the cold saucer, wait for a minute or so and then push the cooling syrup. If it makes wrinkles, you have reached the setting point. If not setting, boil for a few minutes more then try again. I live in Ivybridge so not a million miles from you, if it would help I can come over next jam making day, as it is easier to show than to describe ! My gran taught me many many years ago!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 11:29:44 am »
I've always done that too, but I have to say it's not foolproof.  I agree that the temperature is crucial and as I said, when I started using my Mum's thermometer after she died it did improve.  Took me years to try it though  :innocent:
I've always done that too, but I have to say it's not foolproof.  I agree that the temperature is crucial and as I said, when I started using my Mum's thermometer after she died it did improve.  Took me years to try it though  :innocent:

I'd take up the offer of a practical demo!!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 11:36:42 am by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 11:52:16 am »
Timing it never works for me.  I use the bit on a cold plate approach, which at least provides something to lick.
Another clue is that the volume reduces, I think it's by 2/5ths, but I couldn't swear to that, as I don't use that method. You stand a stick, or the stirring spoon upright in the pot, after marking the initial level.
Another check is a change of colour - the jam/jelly goes slightly darker as it reaches setting point.  It also bubbles slightly differently.

Make sure you are boiling hot enough - there should be a 'rolling boil', not just a few blops, but not so much it rises right up the pan. You need a wide jelly pan for jam making, a taller narrow pot is not ideal.

If your jelly or jam is too runny, then tip it all back in the pot and boil it a bit more.
If it's gone syrupy, then use it on ice cream.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 06:57:10 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 04:31:11 pm »
Also, beet sugar is bad for setting, cane sugar is best. I will second the cold plate test.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 04:59:46 pm »
I always use the d plate test, never owned a jam thermometer.  I've been making all sorts of preserves this year - red gooseberry jam, damson jam, blueberry jelly, elderberry jelly, lemon curd :yum: :yum: .  Today I used a load of tiny Victoria plums with a few sloes chucked in - I'll probably call it plum sauce ;D .

If I find anything is not setting, I either chuck in a good splosh of lemon juice, or as a last resort, a packet of pectin.  Jam or preserve sugar seems to form less foam/scum on the surface - I've no idea why though.

And 1 1/2 lb of sloes went in a bottle for sloe gin.  I couldn't resist filling my pockets when I checked the sheep this morning although I 'm told they are better after a frost ( the sloes not the sheep). :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 07:00:06 pm »
You can prevent that scum by pouring a very small amount of oil onto the jam, or a very small knob of butter.

Devonlady - I didn't know about the beet v cane sugar.  Thank you  :)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 08:39:18 am »
WOW Louise…what a fantastic thing to offer.. :thumbsup: if you are ever passing, pop in for a cuppa

at the moment, we don't have a fridge, as we are living off grid….saying that..the jelly has started to set  :thinking:

Helen really does want to learn as she, like me ,has never done any of this stuff before ;D

i am totally qualified on eating it though  ;D

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 10:04:53 am »
my dear wife has made some redcurrant jelly that never set and turned into a beautiful syrup…not moaning at all..it tasted wonderful with most things…now she has made elderberry and apple jelly..once again it has not set…she is following all the instructions to the word, weight and second….

once again, i'm not moaning as it will be lovely poured on meals…but she is miffed my the not setting

What gelatine are you using animal or seaweed . If the latter it may be the recipe needs a bit of tweaking because it's an old recipe that used animal based material .

One good thing is you'll have plenty of vitamins and healing help from the syrup
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 10:08:13 am »
I do belt and braces. I use a jam thermometer but also do the cold plate test. I was taught in school, too many years ago, to use the plate and have done it ever since.
Some jams are a bit runnier than I would have liked and on the odd occasion a but firmer but I have never really had a failure.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 10:12:52 am »
WOW Louise…what a fantastic thing to offer.. :thumbsup: if you are ever passing, pop in for a cuppa

at the moment, we don't have a fridge, as we are living off grid….saying that..the jelly has started to set  :thinking:

Helen really does want to learn as she, like me ,has never done any of this stuff before ;D

John you can make an evaporative cool cabinet by using a plastic crate or a simple wooden box with a door on a stone or concrete paving  slab with some plastic sheet over the crate ( if used ) to keep things dry & clean in it then add a covering of hessian carpet or heavy sacking or similar to the sides & top . Now use a watering can with fine rose spray to soak the covering and the temp will drop by three or so degrees due to the evaporating water .
 if you sit it in a shade situation outside where there is plenty of air flow but no sun  it works even better .
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:04:23 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 11:24:27 am »
I assume you are cooking on a calor gas hob, we have one at the field in the caravan and it definitely doesn't get anywhere near as hot as our hob at home and even there I struggle to get to the heat needed for jam making. So not Helen's fault in any way

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 01:41:11 pm »

john you can make an evaporative cool cbinet by using a plastic crate or a simple wooden box with a door on a stone or concrete paving  slab with some plastic sheet over the crate ( if used ) to keep things dry & clean in it then add a covering of hessian carpet or heavy sacking or similar to the sides & top . Now use a watering can with fine rose spray to soak the covering and the temp will drop by three or so degrees due to the evaporating water .
 if you sit it in a shade situation outside where there is plenty of air flow but no sun  it works even better .

Or you simply stand your milk in a small amount of water, cover with a cloth so the water rises and keeps the cloth wet, by capillary action. The latent heat of evaporation lowers the temp.  Keep in the shade, and make sure the water's topped up and Bob's your uncle.  I come from the pre-fridge era, and we kept our milk cool in the old dairy that way for years (not the same bottles obviously  :D).

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 01:42:29 pm »

What gelatine are you using animal or seaweed . If the latter it may be the recipe needs a bit of tweaking because it's an old recipe that used animal based material .

One good thing is you'll have plenty of vitamins and healing help from the syrup

Gelatine?  I think this is jam-type jelly, not set it into fancy shapes jelly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS