Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wasps Wiped Out Hives  (Read 3443 times)

uksfdawn

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Carmarthenshire
Wasps Wiped Out Hives
« on: September 10, 2015, 03:38:11 pm »
2 weeks I had five active hives, 2 were small colonies late small swarms that I intended to combine today, just been down to my litttle apiary and the 2 small colonies have been wiped out by wasps, both hives were full of dead bees and lots of wasps, I guess the warm weather this week has brought the wasps out for there late summer sugar fix I have sprayed inside the two hives with wasp killer and closed then up will deal with them next week, the other three hives are strong colonies so I dont expect to lose them, I have reduced there door ways down to help them.
We have destroyed any wasps nest we have found being made but unfortunatly neighbours who have had two big wasp nests in there barns  wouldn't have them destroyed I can only assume its the adults from these nests that have done the damage.
Nothing can be done about it just try again next year.  >:(

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Wasps Wiped Out Hives
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 03:43:28 pm »
Am really sorry to hear about that. Couldn't you just bill the neighbours for the lost bees, if they won't get rid of the wasps nests? :innocent:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 03:44:03 pm »
OH has lots of wasp traps around the hives. He came in to 'reload' this morning
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

uksfdawn

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 04:02:07 pm »
what kind of traps is he using please

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 04:33:38 pm »
They are nothing special, just old jam/pickle jars with a hole in the lid. They are attracted to whats inside and can't get out again
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 04:47:35 pm »
I lost a hive to wasps this year as well, annoying little buggers  :rant: I think I need to put some wasp traps out as I keep getting them in the kitchen at the moment.
________
Caroline

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 07:30:00 pm »
Just a tip for those that don't know
 if you make a slightly wedge shaped wooden bar that totally sits across & in the hive entrance and blocks it off all you need to do is them cut three or four individual channels across the bar to what is known as a bee space dimension ( 3/8 x 3/8 of an inch if memory serves me correct)  & remove the bit of wood needed to make the groove . This makes a hive entrance block which reduces access down to four bee spaces that are set apart so only one be can get in at a time and is much more easily defended than a fully open one .

I burnt the hive number on its own hive block as I had so many hives ( 100 plus all told ) many had the floors made in slightly differing sizes . Sometimes it was a job to get the right block for the hive .. the numbering of the hives & blocks solved that problem .

You'll also need to ensure that the top hive vents have an anti wasp mesh over it and that there are no gaps around your frames where wasps can get in .

The time is also here for you to get ready to fit mouse guards .  These are strips of pre punched galv thin steel sheet or aluminium with something like 15 to 20 x 9mm holes across it .
Fit the guards with big flat headed drawing pins once the first frost is forecast & remove the hive blocks .
 They not only help keep mice out they also allow a better air movement through the hive , this helps to stop the hive sweating in cold weather when the bees are consuming their stores and producing moisture and helps prevent the bees from going mouldy & dying out due to disease caused by a weakened mouldy nest.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 06:38:43 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

uksfdawn

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 10:12:00 pm »
Thank you some great tips there  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS