Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weaning calf  (Read 2176 times)

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
weaning calf
« on: September 08, 2015, 12:12:29 pm »
We have ended up with a partially sighted calf! Slightly unexpected move into a new species and with it questions! She is about 8 weeks old now, eating a bit of grass, some hay and as much ewe lamb and goat mix as she can get hold of! But in total I am not sure how much she is eating. The farmer she came from says weaning her is fine. She has been here 2 weeks and has 3 litres of multimilk per day. Is she likely to be ready to wean, and if so do we gradually reduce the milk for her day by day or a sudden total removal of milk? Many thanks

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: weaning calf
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 12:35:53 pm »
She's right bonny. What breed is she?

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 02:15:13 pm »
half shorthorn, quarter jersey and quarter ayreshire

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 02:30:32 pm »
She looks lovely. Does she have another calf for company? I was once told by Animal Health calves need to have another for company. Pigs don't apparently. Why feed her sheep and goat mix?

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 03:08:05 pm »
She doesn't at this stage have another calf to live with, its in our planning for the future. She shares a field with sheep, hence the ewe lamb and goat mix (I checked with heritage feeds that this feed is ok). In an ideal world she should have company, but a couple of different dairy and beef farmers we know said she will be ok with sheep for company. Also she was faced with coming to live with us or culling, as the farmer is retiring and his farm is being wound down by the council for future sale. The choice between shot in the head and living here really isn't too hard!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS