Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: artificial insemination  (Read 6814 times)

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
artificial insemination
« on: September 04, 2015, 12:43:31 pm »
hi does any one know the cost of artificial insemination cattle. as i have just brought 2 Shetland heifers and want to get them in to calf.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: artificial insemination
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 03:45:42 pm »
We use Genus here in Aberdeenshire and have just had all our girls done - the bill isnt in yet but the last time we had some done the cost was around £30. When it comes Ill be more specific...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 05:04:22 pm »
Well done you! Congratulations of your Shetlands  :hugcow:

Back in 2011, we paid £10 a straw for Shetland semen from RBST via Genus. It was £6.15 per month to store the straws (even only four).I can't remember how much the technician was to do the deed. We also had them synchronised becasue we weren't confident at seeing when they were in season. So that was avet visit.

In the end Blizz had three go's and Breeze had two and in the end we took Blizz to a nearby Shetland bull, who did the deed in 24 hours

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 05:51:37 pm »
Congrats on getting some Shetlands - who have you bought?

It may be there's a bull around that you could hire for a few weeks - if you give me an idea of your location I could put you in touch with the local rep for the Shetland Cattle Breeders Assoc who should know about bulls in their area.

When we started out with Shetlands we used to hire a bull - 6 weeks of bed & board and more than a little 'action' and we had in-calf females before the bull went onto his next job...

Sue

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 08:07:09 pm »
I AI'd my 2 last year and both held to first service (just from observation of heat) .... looks like at least one out of 2 is done for this year too ............ just waiting for next week to see if other held. 

Cost about £9/straw and £9/month storage ..
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 08:03:17 am »
When we started out with Shetlands we used to hire a bull - 6 weeks of bed & board and more than a little 'action' and we had in-calf females before the bull went onto his next job...

Sue

My only concern would be herd health.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 07:57:18 pm »
Just got our bill from genus today - £10 per strw and £20 technicians fee. We dont store straws anymore and use stock semen.In the 4 weve done this year weve gone for aberdeen angus. Obviously,  if they havent taken we would have to go through the process and be charged again. Fingers crossed!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 08:19:41 pm »
Ah, you're not breeding pure then.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 08:40:27 am »
No Rosemary, none of our cattle are pure breeds - weve gone for aa this time hoping for a good price when the time comes. The two older cows are rare breed crosses - beltie and welsh black. The other two heifers are from Mackies and are british blue x jersey.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 09:55:25 am »
im thinking about putting our Shetland heifer in-calf by AI. our bull is her sire and don't really want the hassle of sending her to stud. her calf would be xbred for meat/sale. any tips on choosing the right breed for an easy first calving? she is 17 mths now. it would be genus AI and a beef breed, purely to keep the costs down. I don't have time for repeated visits from technicians as im working, but she is regular and obvious with her bulling.
I presume we cant use her sire to get her in-calf even if the calf is destined for the freezer?

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 01:48:24 pm »
We asked the technician who had a catalogue with him - some of the bulls are graded by amongst other things easy calving. It was a toss up between aa or beef shorthorn but went with aa as we thought it would be easier to sell on. I think the genus website has a list of all their bulls but the technician wont have them all. Good luck!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 10:09:22 am »
There used to be a premium for cattle sired by traditional breeds - don't know if i still applies, but I would guess that selling an AAx is as good as anything.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 10:44:49 am »
Is an AA suitable for a first calving? Don't want anything too big at birth. What's the best age to Ai  her if not being put to a Shetland bull? Our first heifers went to bull at 15 mths but one didn't take. This heifer isn't huge though.
What age are your heifers. Jep?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 12:48:21 pm »
The AA and the Hereford used to be used as the bulls of choice on dairy heifers - before they got BIG. The semen supplier will have bulls that have good scores for easy calving.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 08:55:53 pm »
Yes I think the premium still applies, check the Morrisons' website, it's their scheme.  It was 20p/kg on Shorthorn, 10ppk on all other native breeds.  Father must be a registered pedigree animal and you'll need to be able to give his registered name to your buyer.

However, you can't bank on the premium of course, the scheme may have finished before your not-yet-conceived calf gets sold!   

We would certainly happily choose an Angus for a first calving of a beef breed.  Your vet should be able to measure the internal pelvic dimensions of your heifer if you have any worries - I don't know whether Shetlands are generally wide, or not?

The other native breed we have found produces tidy little calves that grow on well - not the fastest growers, but proper traditional beef - is the Red (North) Devon.  I've had 4 Red Devon crosses from the Jerseys, and they've all been grand little calves that do well on grass.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS