Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkey on antibiotics - another one is fading away  (Read 10028 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Turkey on antibiotics - another one is fading away
« on: September 04, 2015, 12:33:44 pm »
Well I knew before I got them that raising turkeys could be tricky due to their delicate constitution, slow maturing digestive and imune system and the fact that they cant be given medicated chick crumb so I cant complain I guess.

I tried really hard to keep them super clean in the brooder and throught I was doing well to get them all to the coop / off heat stage. Keeping the run clean and dry as been tough between torrential downpours and sunny humid spells but once I got them free ranging I thought I was home and dry in terms of bacterial infection but no.

One of the large hens has looked a tad under par for a few days but each time I decided she looked hunched and sleepy she would perk up and join in the with the others.

Yesterday however I decided that she was fighting something so after checking with the vet that I could give her the strong antibiotic that I keep in store for the hens I am dosing her every evening. She eats and drinks better if she is with the others so she is trying her best to join in with the gang and such a good girl when it comes to taking her meds.

I will stick with it and hopefully she is a big enough bird to pull through. I have got a mature hen through egg peritonitis and an orphan triplet lamb through a bacterial infection this year so I am hoping that I'm on a roll and can claim a hatrick on the antibiotic front.

I know you are going to tell me that it's part of the challenge of keeping turkeys but I will be very sad to loose her. Especially as the cause will be a dirty environment and therefore my fault.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:10:14 am by Buffy the eggs layer »

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Turkey on antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 01:27:19 pm »
Yes, wet ground does pose a challenge, we've had the same problem this year and we're constantly cleaning and moving. But that's not necessarily the cause of a bacterial infection, it may just be sheer dumb luck that a wild bird carrying certain bacteria did a pooh where the turkeys were and your girl picked it up. Could have happened on clean, dry ground. So don't beat yourself up over it  :)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 01:49:14 pm »

Well I knew before I got them that raising turkeys could be tricky due to their delicate constitution, slow maturing digestive and imune system and the fact that they cant be given medicated chick crumb so I cant complain I guess.

The can be fed a medicated starter crumb and its safer to do so in case of coccidiosis, its waterfowl that shouldn't be fed medicated feed.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 02:04:38 pm »
Clansman,

even my vet thinks they cant have medicated crumb  ???   I have it in for the chicks but understood that it could kill the turkeys?

The antibiotic that she is on is usually very effective providing that I catch something quick enough.

She is weary and sleepy and her crop is pretty empty but she is eating and drinking with the others and pecking at grass when she goes out but I am reducing their playing out time until she is stronger. She sets off with them all and then is knackered by the time they all come back for a snack.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 02:14:22 pm »
an Avian vet?

medicated feed is fine for pretty much everything, even waterfowl nowadays.

There used to be certain anti coccidiostat drugs that were harmful to waterfowl in large doses but I believe these have all now been withdrawn from use although the stories around their use still circulate.

I've certainly fed waterfowl medicated feed many times with no problems.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:38:50 pm by Clansman »

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 03:15:57 pm »
No not an avian vet! Clansman. :eyelashes:
 Just a vet who had to check his vet meds book to see if my antibiotic was safe on turkeys. They cant all be experts at everything can they?  ;) But then my avian vet who I thought was very good has had me using ivermectin as a spot on wormer for a year until her colleague advised me that it's not effective for internal parasites. ??? [size=78%] [/size]

I'm sure that you will be right about the medicated crumb but sadly its a bit late for that now. The person that I bought them from said they couldnt have medicated crumb and was feeding them unmedicated chicken crumb. It is genuinely difficult to tell the difference between someone who really knows what they are talking about and someone who thinks they know what they are talking about.

The vet said to buy her some tinned sweetcorn to try and tempt her to eat. I asked if she could eat that as I had read that they shouldnt have wheat until 12 weeks. His view was to give her anything as long as she would eat something and suggested pasta ( prepared outside on a primas stove of course) i dont think he knew about the development of their digestive system.

I duly made her an exciting feast of sunflower seeds, tuna, pasta and sweet corn with mealworms on top which I knew full well she wouldnt eat. I was right. She simply pooed on it and went to bed. ::)

Turkeys just dont seem to have the same enthusiasm for food that chickens have. So I'm relaying on the gregarious, social nature of the group to encourage her. Oh and large doses of good old Aunti - B.

Wish me luck....I may need it :innocent:

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 03:40:13 pm »
Yep even the experts are not infallible!  ;D

Have you tried them with apples?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 08:04:52 pm »
I'e not yet lost a turkey due to disease but I agree on their relative indifference to various types of feed. 

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 08:10:03 pm »
No I havent but I could, I have a pile for the pigs.

A friend of mine who has 3 rheas, a sparrow, a diamond dove, 2 whistling tree ducks and an eclectic assortment of fancy fowl has a bit of a way with birds. So I asked her advice and she sent me home with half a tub of critical care formula. I gave the turkey hen a syringe full then let the gang out to play for a bit. She was certainly more enthusiastic about mealworms when she got back to the coop an hour later.

I will give her some more before bed I think. Its fluid and energy if nothing else so it might just give her the boost she needs to fight off what ever it is.

I ought to point out at this stage that the vet didnt take her temperature or anything. She felt very hot to me and I have assumed that it is bacterial but it could be something congenital like organ failure. I also took another one of the turkey poults along which has a wry neck to make sure that it wasnt in pain.

The vet said there is a good chance that all the females could all end up producing chicks with wry necks so its fair to assume that these poor little birds may not be of the highest breeding quality or in the peak of health and fitness.  :turkey: :(

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 09:05:20 pm »
Turkey chick crumbs are sold with medication if desired. They have a cocciodiostat (like chick crumbs) and another medication against blackhead. If turkey starter crumbs aren't available then starter and grower feeds for game birds are similar, as pheasants, partridges (and peafowl) are also susceptible to blackhead.
Don't know what antibiotic you are using Buffy, but I find that my peafowl respond well (even when apparently at death's door) to tetracycline. I use the same long  acting one that I have for the sheep as that's pretty broad spectrum.
I too have read that wheat shouldn't be fed to turkeys till about 12 weeks, but find it a bit illogical as a major ingredient of chick crumbs has always been wheat.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:17:30 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 09:45:52 am »
Hi Landrover  :wave:

yes I find there are lots of "rules" about turkeys that don't quite add up. I always try and go by the book the first time that I do things and then adapt my methods once I understand the general principals.

The Aunti -B on this occasion is Enroxil which the Avian gives me for the hens. If I had thought that they could have it I would have whacked a dose down her as soon as I saw she was hunched up.

She was so weak yesterday and the droppings that she passed showed that the pellets that she had eaten were not fully digested but sat in a pool of liquid, which suggested it is some form of gut issue. I actually thought I was going to loose her yesterday which is why I gave her the Enroxil earlier than usual and upped the dose.

I dont know if that made a difference or if the 3 syringes of critical care that I gave her helped but she is noticeably stronger today and despite the lime element of her droppings being bright yellow from the antibiotic they are a much better shape and constancy. She is still carrying her neck in but her feathers are not ruffled and her eyes are fully open, shes pecking much more eagerly etc. Still a poorly hen but a BIG improvement on yesterday.

So Im going to give her 3 doses of critical care throughout the day and keep on with the meds until I think she is in the clear. Every 24 hours she gets through is a huge positive.

:relief: [size=78%] [/size]

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 09:34:43 pm »
 Sounds promising. :thumbsup:
 Fingers crossed then. :fc:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 09:15:03 am »
She's not good again today but I will stick with. Every 24 hours is a step forward.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 09:54:47 am »
I wouldn't use any of that batch for breeding.Are they commercial turkeys?  If so they've been bred for many generations only to reach slaughter weight as quickly as possible.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 10:05:50 am »
No they are heritage Marches but I had come to the same decision as you.

Owning them has made me realise that I like turkeys though so I will pop to the rare breeds Auction at York at the beginning of Oct and see what Turkey breeders are there.

I would happily buy a nice adult Trio but not from the auction. I like to buy off farm and would only want birds with a placid, friendly nature. Not something that had to be backed into a corner with a whip and a chair. :(  That sort of thing isnt obvious at an auction.

I felt much more hopeful about my turkey hen yesterday but I feel much less so today.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS