Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducks not laying  (Read 3045 times)

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
Ducks not laying
« on: September 04, 2015, 10:42:57 am »
This has been asked before, but a long time ago and got no replies, so am hoping there is someone knowledgeable around to help.

I got a white campbell drake with a white cambbell duck and a muscovy duck in February this year, all last years hatchlings I believe. The campbell started laying in March, one a day on most days, regular as clockwork. The muscovy laid occasionally. They continued up until the end of July when they stopped completely, and haven't resumed. They've not moulted and there was no change in their feeding regime or their routine. They are penned up with my chickens at night and have a lovely duck house (where they used to lay) and are free ranging during the day in a half-acre paddock - they actually have the run of 4 acres but generally stay in the paddock where their pen is. I have searched, but there is no sign of any eggs being laid in secret nests anywhere. They are fed adlib layers pellets (as advised by the breeder) and a bit of corn at bedtime, plus they are grazing and scavenging all day.

Is it normal for them only to lay for 4-5 months of the year? From what I've read, they should be capable of a lot more, so am I doing anything wrong? I've written this year off now as we are into the shorter days, but would like to improve their production next year.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Ducks not laying
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 10:49:08 am »
I suspect like mine they are laying elsewhere and hiding it very well.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 01:53:51 pm »
i have heard somewhere that ducks are seasonal layers

i have calls that have stopped laying too around the similar time as you
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 01:57:31 pm »
Mine have stopped laying too. They are always seasonal and with it practically being winter already there's no hope of eggs  ::)
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 02:01:47 pm »
Year round laying can be dependant on strain.

In March the daylight is increasing dramatically from 11-13 hours per day stimulating laying, after the longest day 22nd June it starts to decrease rapidly and this is natures way to stop them laying.

You could give them some additional lighting and keep them laying year round

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 02:47:31 pm »
That all makes sense, I will continue to keep an eye out for secret nests, but I think it's probably just that they are seasonal layers. I've no wish to keep them going artificially so will just keep feeding the little blighters and keep fingers crossed for next March. My plumber loves duck eggs and I was using them to bribe him to come when we needed work doing, he was very disappointed on his last visit!

I am telling myself they are still earning their keep by eating any snails, so keeping the sheep free of liver fluke  :P

Thanks for the replies and reassurance that it's not me doing anything wrong!

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 10:04:05 pm »
my muscovies haven't laid for well over a month and are now in moult. going on last year, I don't expect them to lay until the new year (old and young came into lay Jan 2nd!). mine tend to lay like clockwork for 18-26 days and then go broody-if I don't let them sit they come back into lay in about 4 weeks. I rather suspect my older hen is older than I was told and she's only lay a few eggs since she hatched back at Easter.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 11:16:06 pm »
Mine (Silver Appleyards and Cayugas) are still laying sporadically. I think some will moult and then come back into lay whilst others that are laying now will stop for the year shortly. It does vary by year/age/weather etc. but it is normal to stop here in September/October although then somebody might randomly start laying in November (geese sometimes do the same). January and it'll kick off again.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 12:49:01 pm »
They go off lay when moulting and now that it is no longer light that long at night they are slowing down. They will stop for good when the hens get started again in winter.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 01:45:03 pm »
I have 4 white Campbell ducks, mine have never stopped laying and are now about 3yrs old, I normally get about 1 or 2 a day.

I have a 2 tier house so the chickens sleep upstairs and the ducks downstairs. Sometimes a chicken feels like a sleep over but they all know which flat is theirs.

As others have said, they might be having a break, I would just check the chickens are not eating the eggs before you let them out though as my ducks lay very early in the morning.
________
Caroline

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS