Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bitch mounting her puppy...  (Read 2893 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Bitch mounting her puppy...
« on: September 04, 2015, 06:53:51 am »
Mistys puppy Tilly is now 5 and a half months old.  She is adorable :) In the last couple of weeks Misty's grooming of her has intensified (she still grooms and protects Tilly and doesn't eat until Tilly has finished) but she is started to mount her and, well without being indelicate, hump her.

Misty has silent seasons but I don't think she is in season and I don't think Tilly is because neither of my male (neutered!) blind dogs are paying either of them any attention.

I am assuming this is some sort of normal behaviour but..... I've never had a puppy before! I have always had adult rescues. 

Any thoughts (other than "ooooooh Missus" ) would be gratefully received

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Bitch mounting her puppy...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 07:02:37 am »
 We have a 7 yo female retriever and got a female collie pup last year. They get on really well but occasionally our retriever will hump the pup, usually during a game of wrestling. We have put it down to a dominance thing, there's never any aggression involved.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 09:02:05 am »
I think it is an act of dominance, the puppy is getting to an age where they could start challenging who is the leader and the bitch is just reminding her of her place.

I wouldn't worry unless it starts becoming aggressive.
________
Caroline

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 11:23:19 am »
Misty cleans Tilly, mounts her while cleaning and then has a little hump before getting off her.  Misty is very devoted to Tilly, any other dog who displays any aggression towards Tilly has Misty to deal with (and Misty is a very placid dog normally).  She has not demonstrated any aggression towards Tilly

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 03:53:05 pm »
Yes, probably domination but just keep an eye on them - don't let it get out of hand.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 06:26:55 pm »
My bitches sometimes do it to each other upto 2 months before coming into season.
Your pup could come into season anytime from 6 months so mam could be sensing hormonal changes going on and as the pup develops she may want to keep dominance.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS