Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much is a Ram worth?  (Read 8048 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: How much is a Ram worth?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 09:06:01 pm »
Cartilage in the throat becomes inflammed/infected as a result of pressure from the surrounding tissues/poor/compressed conformation. Texels/Beltex very common, snore, roar and snort their way around to the ever lasting through a haze of steroids and marbocyl or they get better and do it again one day (after siring a few more snorters)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 09:47:28 pm »
I prefer to buy an aged ram if I have a lot of first timers - the rams know what to do even if they don't and it keeps lambing to around 19 days, which suits our system.  I am puzzled by the popularity of Texel and Beltex - farmers in this area have moved away from them in increasing numbers in the last few years, partly due to lambing problems and also because of Texel Throat.

Cant imagine a beltex causing too many lambing problems?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 11:26:41 pm »
I sold my 4 yr old ram at a sale and I got 100 ££s for him, I only paid £200 for him. The ram I bought last year set me back £500-600, so not bad considering he has very good genetics. I like to buy a young ram, although not a yearling unless from good stock. I sometimes breed my own ram lambs and they sire brilliant lambs. I think its all down to breed and looks for most people, so the more traditional small rams may not be as much as say a Suffolk for example. Texel throat is a disease I have never heard of, sounds nasty. Is it only in that breed or can other breeds get a form of it too?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 12:00:38 am »
You're welcome, Old Shep :)

Our vet says the throat condition is quite prevalent in Dutch Texels - and our most recent purchase did turn out to have it  :(.  We weren't sure whether the problem only really evidences in adult males, which wouldn't bother us as we don't breed tups, or all offspring.  We've kept just a few of his daughters and will monitor the situation.

I think there are lambing problems with pure or near pure Beltexes, yes, same as with pure Texels.  So much double muscling leads to a narrow birth canal failing to stretch enough for the huge gigots.  It's why we go back up to the Mule after 4 generations; once they get too much Texel-type in them, we start to see difficult lambings.  Swaley Mules are very roomy ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 12:03:31 am »
Sorry Sally, I think he was talking about people going away from using a beltex as a terminal sire on ewes, due to lambing problems. Whilst I agree that lambing pure beltexes are like lambing through a letter box, when a beltex sire is put over say a mule, they should pop out pretty easy!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 12:04:26 am »
Yes, I agree, shouldn't be an issue with a roomy crossbred ewe
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS