Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ive read so much info about pig butchering I am now confused  (Read 5322 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Ive read so much info about pig butchering I am now confused
« on: September 03, 2015, 03:07:19 pm »
My pigs are due to go off at the beginning of Oct and I am trying to decide what I want from the abattoir in the way of butchering.

I want to cure the leg, or part of it to make a nice gammon joint for christmas. How much do you get in one leg? I want a reasonable size gammon joint but a whole leg would be too much. Can you get 2, or more joints from one leg?
I know I want some baby back ribs and some loin joint. Will I also get some chops?
I want a fair bit of mince for sausage making, where does that come from, the shoulder?
I want some meat for salami making too.

I am worried that I am either asking for the same bits of meat more than once, or not covering some of the pieces of meat at all.
Anyone got a list for the butcher that works well?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Ive read so much info about pig butchering I am now confused
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 03:37:45 pm »
Have you read the BPEX cutting spec?
(http://www.hdcommunications.co.uk/clients/bpex/files/assets/downloads/BPEX%20Cutting%20Specification.pdf)

Read it a few times and you soon get the gist of the options :)

Yes you can cut the leg in two (or three) for curing (.  Mince from shoulder yes, but not the top bit (the spare rib) - save that as a joint.
Baby back ribs - i think those are from the loin chops really, so you wouldn't have chops remaining, you'd have loin steaks (ie no bone).  The loins are long so it just depends how many you want of each - ribs, chops, joint.  ie. you could do quarter ribs+steaks, quarter chops and two quarters of loin joint.  ... or with the ribs you could have a boned+rolled loin joint instead of steaks.

Salami - no idea, same as for sausages?

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 04:06:38 pm »
Salami can use the same mince as for sausages - e.g. hand and hock or shoulder but you'll also want some back fat to chop up and add to the mince.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 04:34:28 pm »
How many pigs are you sending? I have asked for 1 pig to have certain cuts and the other to have different cuts to keep it simple and give me a bit of everything i.e. one to have spare ribs and the other belly slices as they are from the same cut of meat.

It might be easier to also just ask what is the butchers standard cut and then customise it.
________
Caroline

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 04:48:42 pm »
The *best* thing to do is buy a boning knife and a steak knife, and a meat saw, and do it yourself. :)  (you can get away without having to use a cleaver)

http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/butchers-sundries/knives/german-dick-butchery-knives/dick-continental-6-flexi-boning-knife.html
http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/butchers-sundries/knives/german-dick-butchery-knives/dick-10-butchers-steak-knife.html
etc

I got my first pigs cut up into primals to make it easier to handle (ie. split into sides and each side cut into five main bits - the leg, the loin, the belly, the upper shoulder, the lower shoulder).  Then I cut those bits up how I wanted.  It really is the best way to learn.  I did the same for my lambs.  There are plenty of cutting guides and youtube videos out there to help you along.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 04:53:05 pm by Foobar »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 06:44:56 pm »
I am sending off 2 pigs but am going halves with one of my neighbours. One pig is a bit bigger than the other so we want half of each pig each to even things out.

I have bought a boning knife but I definitely don't want to do the butchering myself. As for the mincing thats a nightmare unless I am prepared to buy an expensive mincer so both of us want mince as well so that we can make our own sausages.

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 07:39:58 am »
I have had exactly the same dilemma each time I send off some pigs - that's three times already and I'm still not completely sure that my list of cuts will match the number of pigs I've sent in!

Luckily the abattoir/butchers we use are really helpful and will discuss any confusing instructions I've given them

I can send you copies of the different cutting lists I've given them and which have generally worked well for us if that would help?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 09:09:00 am »
I have had exactly the same dilemma each time I send off some pigs - that's three times already and I'm still not completely sure that my list of cuts will match the number of pigs I've sent in!

Luckily the abattoir/butchers we use are really helpful and will discuss any confusing instructions I've given them

I can send you copies of the different cutting lists I've given them and which have generally worked well for us if that would help?
That would be a great help thanks. This is the third time I have sent pigs off too but my other lists were on my pc that was cleaned for a virus so I lost them

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 09:16:03 am »
Our default piggy  cutlist for a half is:
loins: 1/2 as chops; 1/2 boned and rolled in a single joint
chumps: boned and rolled
shoulder: boned and rolled
hams: boned and rolled
hand&hock: - can be either sausaged or minced
bellies: whole
rack of ribs:
tenderloin/fillet:
heads, ears, trotters, offal, etc

Once the big joints are boned and rolled its easy to cut them down to the right size with a kitchen knife at home before freezing.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 10:03:05 am »
i do enjoy watching all his vids….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXPmxWEXrRU

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 10:43:17 am »
John,
I've just spent the last half an hour watching this video. I've seen lots of butchering ones but I think this is the best.

I don't intend to butcher my own but have treated myself to a butchers knife and a steel chainmail glove (just in case)

I'm going to search for his sausage making video next.
thanks

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 10:48:52 am »
I spent hours watching his vids the other day. brilliant

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 10:49:33 am »

I don't intend to butcher my own but have treated myself to a butchers knife and a steel chainmail glove (just in case)

I am glad you mention a chain mail glove.  I got one and it makes a huge difference.  My boning knife is frighteningly sharp and the glove gives me the confidence to work faster and enjoy doing the butchering. 

I really like having my left hand attached to my arm, so much better than having to keep it in a jar of brandy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS