Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Would meat from a shearling ram be okay?  (Read 5339 times)

Crossways

• Joined Jan 2015
Would meat from a shearling ram be okay?
« on: August 31, 2015, 03:16:06 pm »
I've got a small group of shearling rams for sale. No interest so far but I know it's still early in the season. If however I can't sell them would I be able to send them off? Or would the meat be tainted?

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Would meat from a shearling ram be okay?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 05:03:02 pm »
The meat only becomes tainted or rammy when the rams are musky. Some dont start to smell until around 10 months and some are more musky than others. Its a strong distinctive smell and you will know it when you smell it but some people cant taste it in the cooked lamb.

Regardless of taint however is the effect of testosterone on the carcass. The butchered meat has a low fat content and the meat becomes wet and floppy like a chicken breast rather than firm and dry like a chop. Its difficult to butcher as it wont behave but I dont know how it cooks or tastes as I have seen it cut boot not cooked.

I keep my rams entire and butcher at between about 10 months probably 12 at the latest. The slower maturing the breed the better chance you have of running them on for longer but you may just need to experiment with your breed and see just how far you can take them. I think mine could go to 14 months before the testosterone effects the meat and 18 months to 2 years before they become musky.

HTH

GlebeFieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 06:12:38 pm »
I killed some recently at roughly 16-17months and they were lovely. No taint or any problems with butchering. I would do it again.

I think we have to make sure you kill them out of breeding season though or at least keep them away from ewes.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:08:48 pm »
I killed some recently at roughly 16-17months and they were lovely. No taint or any problems with butchering. I would do it again.

I think we have to make sure you kill them out of breeding season though or at least keep them away from ewes.
I would agree with GlebeFieldFarm we sent one away at 20 months, he had been away from ewes and it just took slow cooking, no taint at all

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:54:25 pm »
Hebs are a slow maturing breed and are routinely sent off at 16 months.  For us this in in August and there is absolutely no taint, or problem of any kind, in fact they are delicious.  Hebs don't seem to start stinking rammy until they are a few years old, whereas Shetlands have that smell from early on - I don't know that it necessarily is reflected in tainted meat, as the only time I have noticed any taint from an entire tup was a 7 year old, and that was vile  :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mrst064

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 07:59:48 pm »
I'm wondering the same, I have some shearling poll dorset tup lambs and some January born tup lambs for sale but very little interest, hoping to take them to market at the end of October.

Crossways

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 10:17:51 pm »
I've had next to no interest in my rams. Sold one. Do you think I'm too Early in the season and just feeling disheartened?

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 08:01:07 am »
Haven't seen them on the Market Place, so where are you and what breed are they?

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 03:37:26 pm »
Same with my Hebs we send them at about 18months and they dont smell but do taste lovely x
Red

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 05:23:24 pm »
I usually keep my ram lambs separate from any females when they're a year old. I regularly kill my ram lambs out a year old, as I find the flavor is excellent, as their meat has matured. :yum:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Crossways

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 03:41:16 pm »
My boys are charollais. And are actively working on each other! I'm worried there will be a taint being a commercial type and proving they are sexually active! However I've got some people interested in Christmas orders so maybe once they are over feeling active it may be okay? 

God knows!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS