Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mule ewe lambs ??  (Read 5575 times)

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
mule ewe lambs ??
« on: August 30, 2015, 09:04:10 pm »
Hi guys i have quite a large hill area that has not been grazed all year and was thinking of buying mule ewe lambs to keep and sell as hoggets next year. my question is Are mules hardy enough to stay on the hill all year ? and would hill nutrition be enough to keep them healthy and happy all through winter?

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
Re: mule ewe lambs ??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:04:44 pm »
theres plenty of shelter in bushes and trees, its more a question of nutrition i guess

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 09:13:52 pm »
What sort of 'hill' are we talking? Feet above sea level? What sort of mule, scotch? Welsh?

Without lambs to support, I'd say mules do fine out on a hill, but obviously don't know your specifics. But why mules especially? Other breeds that'll 'do' better and fetch £££ sold as hoggs.

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 10:07:55 pm »
thanks for replying, The hill is mossy, with a mixture of wild grass, heather and mixed vegetation (rushes, win bushes trees etc) ) They would be north of England mule types. 750 feet above sea level. I thought mules may have a certain hardiness about them, or else go for a hill breed entirely.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 12:21:12 am »
I was previously on a moorland farm at about 600' in Northumberland.  No trees but plenty of reshes for shelter from the wind.  Some very boggy / mossy and some drier 'riggs' with reasonable hill grass.

We had Swaledales (mostly) and a smaller flock of their Mule daughters.

We did winter the Swale ewe hoggs out bye, but we found they needed some cake over winter to really do well and be fit to be tupped as shearlings and make a good job of their first lambing.

I wouldn't have entertained the idea of running the Mule ewe hoggs out bye. 

All the sheep got hay after about Christmas time.  The hoggs were caked, just lightly, through the winter, and the pregnant ewes in the last two months of gestation.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 10:33:10 am »
I wouldnt want to have mule ewe lambs on a hill over winter

They aren't hard enough, I know mule ewe lambs who have come off lean after being over wintered on dairy keep

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 12:36:33 pm »
I would imagine herdwicks or similar would be better suited. (hard as nails)!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 12:41:42 pm »
Most folk in Cumbria do winter hoggs, even Swaleys and Herdiwcks, on lower ground.  But I don't know the climate where m3joeEm is - it may be milder/drier.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 06:53:13 pm »
COnsidering how variable the qeather's been not only throughout the UK but also from day to day this year I don't think you can rely on a "normal" pattern of Winter weather for your area.  It's the time of year when my neighbour across the valley sucks in his breath and says he reckons it's going to be a hard Winter, immediately propelling me to the telephone for cake and straw.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 10:13:36 pm »
COnsidering how variable the qeather's been not only throughout the UK but also from day to day this year I don't think you can rely on a "normal" pattern of Winter weather for your area.  It's the time of year when my neighbour across the valley sucks in his breath and says he reckons it's going to be a hard Winter, immediately propelling me to the telephone for cake and straw.

We are also stocking up, weather pattern is similar to the winter of 2012 where we had 4' of snow and nothing moved properly for weeks in this area (west Yorkshire)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 10:24:24 pm »
The upside of a harsh, snowy, brutal winter. . . . is that it shows you your best ewes. As heart breaking as it can be, it exposes those that are weak.

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 01:05:32 am »
Great points everyone thanks, the weather where I am is always very wet and cold we usually have a bit of snow and the odd year we have very bad storms, I'm edging towards the idea of hill breeds instead, what h specific one I am not sure , or else but store hill lambs and sell them again at Christmas

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
  • holmfirth, west yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 06:47:11 am »
all right joe, i'd have thought they'd do more than ok. we farm at 1100 feet with cold wet weather with a selection of mules and texels. only time they come in is at lambing time or blizzards. just make sure they have a supply of hay. upside is mules sell for decent money

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 11:04:44 am »
Yes, we had a Winter where it snowed in early December - not deep but it stayed put for six weeks.  Had to start feeding hay and romped through the stocks pretty fast.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 12:56:00 pm »
Height above sea level is so variable in the uk  , iv'e helped harvest cereal at  1100ft  , spread fert and  grass seed at  1500ft  .   The highest iv'e run sheep  2,500ft     36" rain   deep snow blocking the roads  digging sheep out     -10 regularly   but now    1000ft   80"+ rain   snow and ice very rare  and it is much much harder on the sheep .   Mule ewe lambs spread out on  a good hill would probably survive , but since you say you would sell them  as hoggets , if for breeding they wouldn't compare with ones wintered and fed on good ground and if for killing  I doubt they'd be fit enough to  sell

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS